Swift 3 314-42 Touchpad Drivers

Options
2»

Answers

• eavc
    eavc Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    To reiterate my problem, after having this laptop for a year without issue, my touchpad has recently become sluggish, inaccurate in registering touches, and occasionally prone to what seem to be phantom inputs.
  • kirmgrauza
    kirmgrauza Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    eavc said:
    billsey said:
    The touchpad, like a touchscreen, doesn't use a different driver than the one provided with Windows in Human Interface Devices (HID). If the touchpad isn't being recognized it won't show up in Device Manager, unless it comes up as an unrecognized USB device.
    My touchpad shows in the HID section, and the driver for my touchpad (in HID) is showing as being from 2006. It seems impossible that that should be correct.

It's generic Windows driver. I have same laptop, same touchpad and it has 2006 year drivers. And everything works fine, including multi-touch gestures. Problem is somewhere else.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Options
    The driver from 2006 is likely right, since there has been no reason to change that default driver for many, many years...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • eavc

Tinkerer

Options
    eavc said:
    billsey said:
    The touchpad, like a touchscreen, doesn't use a different driver than the one provided with Windows in Human Interface Devices (HID). If the touchpad isn't being recognized it won't show up in Device Manager, unless it comes up as an unrecognized USB device.
    My touchpad shows in the HID section, and the driver for my touchpad (in HID) is showing as being from 2006. It seems impossible that that should be correct.

It's generic Windows driver. I have same laptop, same touchpad and it has 2006 year drivers. And everything works fine, including multi-touch gestures. Problem is somewhere else.

I was really hoping to find some kind of software issue responsible for this and a driver problem seemed the simplest bet. Not even sure how to troubleshoot now that I've ruled that out. Any ideas?
  • billsey
    Options
    It still could be a software issue, but more likely it would be something else taking up system resources that doesn't leave enough time for the touchpad driver to handles events. Try this, boot into safe mode and see if it happens there.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • eavc

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    It still could be a software issue, but more likely it would be something else taking up system resources that doesn't leave enough time for the touchpad driver to handles events. Try this, boot into safe mode and see if it happens there.
    I think you might be right. It seems to come and go. I'll see about safe mode. Doesn't that limit functionality of the machine? I can do that for troubleshooting but don't know that that's a good long-term solution. I appreciate your help. It's become very frustrating.
  • eavc

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    Although on second thought, one of the main problems is that single clicks are being interpreted as double clicks and there are also phantom clicks. I tap the touchpad with one finger and it registers as two. I drag my pointer and it interprets it as a click.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Enable safeboot via msconfig. Then restart windows and check if the problem persists.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    Options
    If it happens in safe mode, then we can assume it's something balking in the base OS. If it doesn't happen in safe mode then it is much more likely to be a third party app or driver that is mucking with timing. In safe mode only the stock Microsoft apps and devices are loaded, along with drivers critical to normal use, like chipset drivers. If it were, for instance, your antivirus app then it would only show up in a normal boot and not in safe mode.