Swift 3 314-42 Touchpad Drivers

Options
chillburgh
chillburgh Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2022 in Swift and Spin Series
I recently purchased a refurb Acer Swift 3 from the official Acer eBay store. The touchpad is not working as desired and I seem to be missing configuration options that others seem to have.  I believe that I may not have the best drivers installed.

However, I cannot find touchpad drivers for the Swift 3 314-42 anywhere.  They aren't on the Acer website and Google searches don't come back with anything from trusted sources.

Can someone point me to touchpad drivers for the Swift 3 314-42?  Thank you.

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    access the bios and change the TOUCHPAD function to ADVANCED.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • chillburgh
    edited January 2021
    Options

I do not have that option in the BIOS.  I have updated my BIOS to 1.08 and still don't have that option on the Main screen.

Edited the content to hide sensitive information
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you send a screenshot of the TOUCHPAD menu that appears in windows?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • chillburgh
    Options

Here is what is shown in Windows
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    what functions are not showing up or working? the zoom, scroll lock?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• chillburgh
    Options
    2-finger scrolling with my touchpad is very slow - at least half if not a quarter of the speed of my old laptop.  I can't find any way to change it.  Also, my touchpad clicks are not always registering.  And there is a slight lag from when I start moving my finger on the touchpad to when the cursor appears to move on the screen.

All of which leads me to investigate whether I have the most recent/proper touchpad drivers installed.

So, going back to my original question - where can I find touchpad drivers for a SF314-42?  They don't appear on the Acer support site even though they are referenced on the download page where it says, "Before installing the Touchpad driver, please install the Serial I/O driver first" even though both the touchpad driver and serial I/O driver are not available for download.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    The touchpad drivers are generic and provided by Microsoft as part of the OS.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • chillburgh
    Options
    If Acer cannot supply updated drivers for this touchpad then it is malfunctioning and the laptop will need to be returned.  As it is currently, the touchpad is not functioning as designed.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What happens when you increase the speed and sensitivity of the cursor?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• chillburgh
    Options
    I appreciate the efforts to help me improve my experience, but I've already spent > 6 hours working on this touchpad problem.  I've listened to tech support call hold music, being told my warranty is expired and having to submit proof-of-purchase and wait 48 hours to prove it's not, being told I'd receive a call back from a technician but never receiving one, updating my BIOS, having to resort to the community forums in search of a driver?  I think I'm done with Acer support for this.

Even if increasing the cursor speed helped the scrolling speed, it would not address the clicks-not-registering problem nor the cursor lag problem.  Rather than spending even more time troubleshooting something this I'm going to cut my losses and return the laptop.  I like the form factor and quiet performance of this laptop, but the touchpad is not tolerable.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I think you can take the laptop apart and disconnect the touchpad cable and then plug it back into the main board.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eavc
    eavc Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    I am having this same issue and also cannot find any source for a touchpad driver. My laptop was working fine for about a year but now the touchpad is sluggish often and then occasionally erratic or showing phantom inputs. Can anyone please speak to this issue? I see the OP left without the issue being solved.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @Eavc Wha is the exact model? Example AN515-55-58VH.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eavc

Tinkerer

Options
    It's a Swift 3 314-42.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    eavc said:
    It's a Swift 3 314-42.

When you press ctrl+s in the bios main tab, does an option called touchpad appear?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eavc

Tinkerer

Options
    No option like that appears. My situation is exactly like the original poster. I want to find an updated driver to see if that solves the problem. But it's not listed among drivers on this site.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    The touchpad, like a touchscreen, doesn't use a different driver than the one provided with Windows in Human Interface Devices (HID). If the touchpad isn't being recognized it won't show up in Device Manager, unless it comes up as an unrecognized USB device.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @eavc Try resetting the battery:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfhgnxUJoZo&list=FLVBqwtBw09_Z9tXo1Injakw&index=3
    Then check if the touchpad appears in the device manager.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eavc

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    The touchpad, like a touchscreen, doesn't use a different driver than the one provided with Windows in Human Interface Devices (HID). If the touchpad isn't being recognized it won't show up in Device Manager, unless it comes up as an unrecognized USB device.
    My touchpad shows in the HID section, and the driver for my touchpad (in HID) is showing as being from 2006. It seems impossible that that should be correct.
  • eavc

Tinkerer

Options
    @eavc Try resetting the battery:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfhgnxUJoZo&list=FLVBqwtBw09_Z9tXo1Injakw&index=3
    Then check if the touchpad appears in the device manager.
    The touchpad does show up in my device manager list under HID, like the other poster has said. Is resetting the battery meant to get it to show up? If so, seems like I don't need to do that.