my acer swift 1 SF114-32-P9EG. not turning on but the charger light is on. please help.

Michelle88
Michelle88 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
Acer Swift 1

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Which Swift 1 model do you have? It should be something like SF1xx-xxx-xxxx. Do you have a batter reset pinhole on the bottom? If the light on steady or blinking, fast or slow? Does it turn off when you press and hold the power button for 30 seconds? If so you should be able to just turn it back on after that...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Michelle88
    SF114-32-P9EG. what I mean is when I plug in charger cable, the battery light is on and steady. and I hold the power button, no respone.
  • billsey
    OK, your Swift has a battery reset pinhole on the bottom of the computer. Let's try a battery reset before anything else. Disconnect power and shut down. Use something like a bent paperclip through the pinhole to press the reset button and hold it. Keep it pressed for 15-30 seconds, then release. Wait for 15-30 minutes then reconnect the charger. Let it sit on the charger until it indicates a full battery, then turn it on. Let me know if that worked or if the symptoms are the same.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Michelle88
    thanks! it worked!
  • billsey
    Sweet! Glad I could help. :)
  • redb0x4
    redb0x4 Member Posts: 1 New User

hey, i know im 2 years late to the party, but what exactly causes this problem? ive been having it happen to me 5 times in the past 24 hours

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,529 Pathfinder
    edited April 2023

It's a mystery to me too, I am having this issue since October last year with my 4 year old a515-54G, possibly the circuitry is getting a bit old (leaking), some claim it is static electricity buildup on the motherboard that needs discharging. I also have battery charging issues, resolved the same way (pinhole reset) and by uninstalling the MSACPI battery controller in device manager and rebooting. I have a HDD so was using Fast Startup in Power Plan, disabled that now and just hibernate instead of completely shutting down (afraid it won't turn on again). I prefer hibernate actually it is faster than Fast Startup and no battery draining is detected. Brand new laptops can have starting failures too but not desktop PCs, could be the new Lithium Ion batteries with Smart chips (not read by BIOS) and/or the new fast charging (high power) adapters (just guessing).

• billsey

The batteries on newer laptops have some smarts builtin in order to have them disable themselves if the lithium starts growing crystals that might poke through the membrane between cell layers. This helps keep them from catching on fire or exploding as a bunch of Apple products did a number of years ago when lithium-ion batteries were still new. Part of those smarts are internal data storage to keep track of the battery health. Unfortunately in a lot of cases they are just a little buggy and that data can get corrupted. When the battery is still good but the data is corrupted in the wrong way, the battery shuts itself off in order to stay out of the danger zone, even though it doesn't actually need to. The full battery reset, including the long press of the reset button, a long wait afterward and then a full no-load charge forces the battery to clear that data and retest everything. If the battery is good but confused it will fix things, until it gets confused again. If the battery really is bad then it either won't fix it, or it will fix it for a short while and then it'll shut itself down again. Just hitting the reset button does a simple forced power off, the same as holding the power button for a few seconds. A long press of the power button followed either by a wait or with no wait and then turning it on doesn't do the retest, so both of those don't actually fix things. That's why we ask that users do the full procedure…