Travel Mate hinge

rosswilliamson
rosswilliamson Member Posts: 20 Networker
How many others out there have had the same problem as us with a hinge on a Acer Travel Mate ?
Our 2017 Travel Mate laptop had the hinge fail this week, first I noticed the frame around the screen was delaminating caused by the hinge failure. The unit has  two small hinges in each corner.
Acer phone support was useless, told me to courier it another city and I could be without it for a month. I took it to an accredited Acer technician in my area, then Acer phoned from Australia to ask me to send it away as they would look at it and may pay for the repair, too late it is in a repair shop, why not pay them as they are an accredited Acer agent. Two separate techies I spoke to said this is a common failure with this model. Our Aspire model has one lone continuous hinge instead of two small ones that are on the Travel Mate.
Having been a good customer of Acer for many years we are now going to buy another make as Acer do not back their customers

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,476 Trailblazer
    Sorry. Hinges and plastic cases on consumer-grade laptops are not ruggedized as in more expensive commercial-grade metal laptops. Google any major consumer mfr (Dell, Asus, HP, etc)  and hinge as keywords and you should a comparable number of hits for laptop hinge problems. Quite common since it is the most stressed part of any laptop. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rosswilliamson
    Hi JackE  When Acer phoned they denied that it was a common problem,  yeah right, that will be why the Aspire model has one big hinge running the width to take the stress.

• rosswilliamson
    Acer Australia have had word from my repairer, Dove Electronics that the hinge has been a failure and not damaged from abuse or being dropped so they are going to pay for the repair, I am very pleased with the outcome and the response from Acer, well done !
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,476 Trailblazer
    Congrats. Thanks for reporting back. Still, try to avoid opening/closing the lid too much. It remains a consumer-grade laptop with mostly plastic-based  support for the heavily stressed hinge assembly. Not to mention the repeated bending stresses on the LCD videocam ribbon cable inside the hinge assembly that sometimes leads to failure of the conductor traces in that component as well.   :o Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ