some Important questions about Nitro 5, please answer if you have an idea nitro 5 an515-54-728c

Options
Ariyan
Ariyan Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
edited January 2021 in Nitro Gaming

Hi, as you can see, on my Acer nitro 5 an515-54-728c, despite that no games are running and RTX is off, nitro sense power usage is very high. I have updated nitro sense from Acer's website so i don't know if it was like this in the previous version.

1-is it really using too much power or is it a bug or something?

2-i like nitro sense running while i play games, so i can see how the thermals and performance was, but my question is: if it is using too much power so closing it must improve the performance right? you may not believe but i think it is really using too much power, because i just closed it completely and after a few seconds, the fan speed decreased a lot, i can say it by fans noise

3- one other question is, does changing windows priority for a game, improve GPU performance for the game?(it apparently does help with CPU)

4- while playing "Control on max graphics DLSS on and ray tracing on high" or "Fortnite with DLSS on, Epic settings and no ray tracing" or "PES 2021 on max settings", after i close it and check the nitro sense, its graph shows that GPU was running below 85%(on average) and unstable framerates in PES and fortnite(fan speed on max), is it a problem with the games or thermals or something else? will a cooling pad improve it? is there any other way to improve it?
NOTE: before updating Nitro sense, the CPU graph never reached 100%, but after the update, the graph shows higher percentage, despite that CPU clock speed hasn't got better(i'm sure)

5- The RTX 2060 on this laptop, is it the 80 watts variant? i saw in a youtube video that a guy said This is not a limited edition of rtx2060, i mean is there a lower variant than 80 watts?

6- and the final question: the CPU is limited to 35watts, so i cannot get more that 3.0GHz(on average) while rendering, is there anyway to improve it? i think, but i'm not sure, before updating nitro sense, it was 3.2 GHz on average(but i might be wrong, because according to some details, this laptop's CPU can run on 45watts for 28 seconds), should i downgrade the Nitro sense?

Best Answer

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    1 : Power is the litteral power its consuming, not the processing. That one is more for highlighting thigns which are bad for your battery. The app is also CPU heavy though  :)

2:  Ive noticed it can hit the CPU quite hard due to the logging it does, so not having it openfrees up the CPU to do other things, most games are not able to take advtnge 

3) Not really, if your running in full screen the GPU is allready focused on that, i can help with the CPU as windows puts that process first above something else when it has to task switch, the GPU doesnt work in the same way

4) It depends, is the CPU pegged to 100%? What are the temps at? If above 85 it could be thermally limiting the hardware so it doesnt overheat, if the cpu is pegged, you could just be CPU throttled. Cooling pads can help lower temps if thats the issue

5) I think its 80w, if you open HWinfo when a game is open, it will give you the read out on the power its drawing 

6) I think this is the BIOS not the nitrosense which controlls it, you can try installing the intel extreme tuning utility to see if the options to tweak the turbo curves / core icc are unlocked, but I *think* 9th and 10th gen intel chips have had it disabled 

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    1 : Power is the litteral power its consuming, not the processing. That one is more for highlighting thigns which are bad for your battery. The app is also CPU heavy though  :)

2:  Ive noticed it can hit the CPU quite hard due to the logging it does, so not having it openfrees up the CPU to do other things, most games are not able to take advtnge 

3) Not really, if your running in full screen the GPU is allready focused on that, i can help with the CPU as windows puts that process first above something else when it has to task switch, the GPU doesnt work in the same way

4) It depends, is the CPU pegged to 100%? What are the temps at? If above 85 it could be thermally limiting the hardware so it doesnt overheat, if the cpu is pegged, you could just be CPU throttled. Cooling pads can help lower temps if thats the issue

5) I think its 80w, if you open HWinfo when a game is open, it will give you the read out on the power its drawing 

6) I think this is the BIOS not the nitrosense which controlls it, you can try installing the intel extreme tuning utility to see if the options to tweak the turbo curves / core icc are unlocked, but I *think* 9th and 10th gen intel chips have had it disabled 
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    Open NitroSense and keep it minimized to task bar all the time gaming and whatever you may be doing. Bring if up only when you need to look at the graphs. Minimizing to taskbar reduces its CPU usage drastically since it becomes a background process at that point with no active updates to its UI.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045