How can I replace my HDD with a SSD and reinstall windows? A315-53-52c

mcam18
mcam18 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited January 2021 in Aspire Laptops
The 100% disk utilization is driving me crazy, I tried as many fixes as I can find but it just keeps coming back. Hoping if I upgrade to a SSD it will fix it, but how do I reload windows? any help is much appreciated

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>chrome is close which usually eats up a lot>>>

What happens to disk usage when this is either closed or preferrably uninstalled?

>>>I am willing to upgrade to a SSD, just don't know how I can reload windows with the Acer image.>>>

You have two choices. You can add an m.2 SSD card and clone/migrate the HDD to it by using migration freeware . Or you can connect a 2.5" SSD to a USB port using an inexpensive USB2HDD cable then use the same freeware. Then remove the 2.5" HDD and replace it with the 2.5" SSD. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    An SSD will probably not help much if it's due to the OS or software. Open task manager. Scroll down the disk usage heading and see which processes or programs or apps seem to be consuming the most disk time. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Could you please post the full model name of your laptop, like Axxx-xx, in the meantime, you can upgrade to a SSD and either  clone your HDD or backup the HDD image and recover the image on to new SSD but you have to tell us the laptop model name for further advice.
  • mcam18
    A315-53-52c   Looks like it has always been a known issue with windows 10. There is nothing running at all and its still pegged, even disabling search and superfetch, nothing enabled to startup.  Keep trying to create a recovery through the acer care center and it just fails near the end. just wasnt sure if there was a tool or disc that I can reload windows with
  • JackE
    >>>There is nothing running at all and its still pegged,>>>

Check and scroll down disk usage column again in Task Manager. If it's running at 100%, that means several processes must be running in the column. Many might show 0 MB/s A few more might be showing 0.1 MB/s. There are dozens, perhaps 100s, of processes running and some of them might be intermittently showing substantially higher MB/s. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• mcam18
    Believe it or not nothing is running at a high enough level to cause this, chrome is close which usually eats up a lot, even when I refresh the view to see what using the most its only a few MB. I believe it is a windows issue as I research more I find a lot of people are having the issue with any type of brand/model. I am willing to upgrade to a SSD, just don't know how I can reload windows with the Acer image. Still trying to use the recovery option to create a drive. Hoping that will reload onto new HDD
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>chrome is close which usually eats up a lot>>>

What happens to disk usage when this is either closed or preferrably uninstalled?

>>>I am willing to upgrade to a SSD, just don't know how I can reload windows with the Acer image.>>>

You have two choices. You can add an m.2 SSD card and clone/migrate the HDD to it by using migration freeware . Or you can connect a 2.5" SSD to a USB port using an inexpensive USB2HDD cable then use the same freeware. Then remove the 2.5" HDD and replace it with the 2.5" SSD. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Spamalot
    Spamalot Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

While Windows isn't my primary OS, I would like to add a few thoughts to Jack's excellent advice.  First, have you run a Windows update recently (Settings>Update & Security>Windows Update).  If not, that should be your first step.  Secondly, before doing anything else, back up all your files to an external source and create a Windows Recovery thumb drive (youtube is full of videos showing how this is done).  Also, consider replacing the version of Windows 10 you are using.  Go to
    www.urcdkey.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-oem-cd-key-global_1966-20.html.  This is a legitimate site which offers Windows keys at a substantial discount.  (My understanding is that they buy valid surplus keys from other countries and resell them.  Evidently, MIcrosoft only puts the financial screws to those living in the USA.)  You can acquire a key for Windows 10 Professional for under $20, IIRC.  Then, download Windows 10 Professional from the Microsoft site, and use you newly acquired key to initialize it.  Lastly, the migration software which comes free with Samsung SSDs is reportedly some of the best to be had.  I recently did this, and I think I used Rufus.  Others have said Clonezilla works well, too, but you have lots of choices.

• mcam18
    Thanks guys!  Since this came with an Western Digital HDD I was able to use their cloning utility to clone my drive to the new SSD.  Everything is so fast now! Great free tool.
  • JackE
    Congrats! Thanks for reporting back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ