Acer Aspire 3470

bill77
bill77 Member Posts: 3 New User
My Aspire 3470 allows me to add up to 16 gigs of memory. It came with 8 gigs, but more can be added in two empty slots of 4 gigs.  I am thinking of adding a 4 gig stick, will this work or do I have to add two sticks at a time.

The memory company recommended this memory: 4GB DMS Certified Memory DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600) 512x64 CL9 1.5v 240 Pin DIMM

The memory is Non-ECC

thanks

Answers

• bill77 said:
    My Aspire 3470 allows me to add up to 16 gigs of memory. It came with 8 gigs, but more can be added in two empty slots of 4 gigs.  I am thinking of adding a 4 gig stick, will this work or do I have to add two sticks at a time.

The memory company recommended this memory: 4GB DMS Certified Memory DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600) 512x64 CL9 1.5v 240 Pin DIMM

The memory is Non-ECC

thanks

The best and most efficient thing to do is to match your existing memory yu have installed (install CPUID and fid the exact specs of your existing memory at "Memory" and "SPD" sections) and add either 1x or its best to add 2x 4GB of the exact specs to match, as adding either slower or faster memory will always reduce your overall memory speed/timing to the lowest common denominator of its total speed/timings of your combined memory. 

Your Aspire X3470 specs are as follows, Memory: max memory 16GB - Slots: 4 (2 banks of 2), Storage: Drive Interface: SATA - SATA version: SATA 3 - 6Gb/s - Serial ATA support: 1, Chipset: AMD A75. Have a look at this guide for what is compatible with your Aspire X3470 here: Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | acer | aspire desktops | Aspire M3470 | Crucial.com 
  • bill77
    StevenGen said:
    bill77 said:

The memory is Non-ECC

thanks

The best and most efficient thing to do is to match your existing memory yu have installed (install CPUID and fid the exact specs of your existing memory at "Memory" and "SPD" sections) and add either 1x or its best to add 2x 4GB of the exact specs to match, as adding either slower or faster memory will always reduce your overall memory speed/timing to the lowest common denominator of its total speed/timings of your combined memory. 

Your Aspire X3470 specs are as follows, Memory: max memory 16GB - Slots: 4 (2 banks of 2), Storage: Drive Interface: SATA - SATA version: SATA 3 - 6Gb/s - Serial ATA support: 1, Chipset: AMD A75. Have a look at this guide for what is compatible with your Aspire X3470 here: Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | acer | aspire desktops | Aspire M3470 | Crucial.com 

thanks.  your right it probably would be best to add ram in twos, but i don't need that much ram currently. 4 gigs more would be fine.  but if i had to add it in twos then buying one stick would be a waste.

thanks for the url on the ram, need to get busy.

btw, just upgraded this old machine to windows 10 with a samsung 860 evo.......wow, light speed.  best buy marked them down to $40 256 gigs, because the new samsung 870 is coming in feb.  the samsung software for migrating the operating system from hard drive to SSD was very simple and worked well.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,939 Trailblazer
    edited January 2021
    bill77 said:
    StevenGen said:
    bill77 said:

The memory is Non-ECC

thanks

thanks.  your right it probably would be best to add ram in twos, but i don't need that much ram currently. 4 gigs more would be fine.  but if i had to add it in twos then buying one stick would be a waste.

btw, just upgraded this old machine to windows 10 with a samsung 860 evo.......wow, light speed.  best buy marked them down to $40 256 gigs, because the new samsung 870 is coming in feb.  the samsung software for migrating the operating system from hard drive to SSD was very simple and worked well.
    Its my pleasure to help you, as I wanted to outline to you the theory behind memory installation and their boundaries and how it works. You can put 1x 4GB but as long as it matches your existing memory speed/timing (the manufacturer doesn't matter but its preferable that its the same) that is why 2x or 4x kits are best and most efficient to install, as putting higher speed memory and combining it with lower speed memory is a waste of money, especially as higher speed/timing memory costs more and it won't achieve anything, that is what I was trying to outline to you.

With your SSD, I've been using Samsung SSD's 2.5" SATA-3 and for many years including the more recent M.2 and NVMe's drives and they are all very quick and very reliable and stable drives. Also, their specific cloning software and tuning software is really great and helpful and make things very easy and simple. What I would also suggest and I also use on all my SSD's, is that you install the Windows "TRIM" feature which allows Windows 10 or any supported operating system, to notify an SSD which blocks of data are no longer in use and can be safely wiped out to be writable again. Having this operation done ahead of time improves performance, as the drive won't have to spend time erasing a particular block when space is needed to store new data, ensuring the SSD reaches its advertised lifespan, 

Just a short explanation of what Samsung's Magician's activated "Rapid Mode" is and what Samsung says it is "Rapid Mode achieves over 2X faster performance through intelligent DRAM caching of data, for read acceleration and write optimization" which is all good and fine but, you can't physically make the drive faster, as the read/write speeds are bound by the limitations of the hardware. Rapid Mode instead uses intelligence and other resources in your PC, namely the RAM, to cache files for quicker access and a more streamlined write process, this is also helpful if you have speedy memory and lots of it, consider that too when updating memory and you have a Samsung SSD and Rapid Mode activated. 

• bill77
    StevenGen said:
    bill77 said:
    StevenGen said:
    bill77 said:

The memory is Non-ECC

thanks

Its my pleasure to help you, as I wanted to outline to you the theory behind memory installation and their boundaries and how it works. You can put 1x 4GB but as long as it matches your existing memory speed/timing (the manufacturer doesn't matter but its preferable that its the same) that is why 2x or 4x kits are best and most efficient to install, as putting higher speed memory and combining it with lower speed memory is a waste of money, especially as higher speed/timing memory costs more and it won't achieve anything, that is what I was trying to outline to you.

With your SSD, I've been using Samsung SSD's 2.5" SATA-3 and for many years including the more recent M.2 and NVMe's drives and they are all very quick and very reliable and stable drives. Also, their specific cloning software and tuning software is really great and helpful and make things very easy and simple. What I would also suggest and I also use on all my SSD's, is that you install the Windows "TRIM" feature which allows Windows 10 or any supported operating system, to notify an SSD which blocks of data are no longer in use and can be safely wiped out to be writable again. Having this operation done ahead of time improves performance, as the drive won't have to spend time erasing a particular block when space is needed to store new data, ensuring the SSD reaches its advertised lifespan, 

Just a short explanation of what Samsung's Magician's activated "Rapid Mode" is and what Samsung says it is "Rapid Mode achieves over 2X faster performance through intelligent DRAM caching of data, for read acceleration and write optimization" which is all good and fine but, you can't physically make the drive faster, as the read/write speeds are bound by the limitations of the hardware. Rapid Mode instead uses intelligence and other resources in your PC, namely the RAM, to cache files for quicker access and a more streamlined write process, this is also helpful if you have speedy memory and lots of it, consider that too when updating memory and you have a Samsung SSD and Rapid Mode activated. 

thanks.  i have decided to just upgrade both memory chips, as i tend to use up a lot of memory when working.

>>> I've been using Samsung SSD's 2.5" SATA-3 and for many years including the more recent M.2 and NVMe's drives and they are all very quick and very reliable and stable drives

the samsung 830 ssd this pc now runs has been reliable too, currently it runs windows 7 and no hiccups. i needed windows 10 too, so bought another samsung 860 and cloned windows 10 from a hard drive.  simple to do and perfect, this was the first time i tried cloning a drive, samsung seems to be able to clone drives with their software that most users should be able to do.

>>>I've been using Samsung SSD's 2.5" SATA-3 and for many years including the more recent M.2 and NVMe's drives and they are all very quick and very reliable and stable drives.

been looking at the M.2 expansion cards and thought about getting an M.2 drive, they seem insanely fast. i really don't know if those cards would work properly in a machine about 9 years old. 

these are the pci specs, probably lack luster?...

Extension slot
    • Support one PCIe x 16 slot
    • Support two PCIe x 1 slots
    • Support one PCI slot

i used the pcie x 1 slot for an ethernet card, when the ethernet port burned out recently.  so i have one pcie slot left and thought of dropping in a video card if the M.2 pci card wouldn't work there.

it really is surprising how durable these old acer pc's are, including the old acer monitor i just replaced with a new acer monitor.

thanks for the help.