How do I turn on my acer nitro 5 AN517 -52 -52t3 without power button?

Kblades04
Kblades04 Member Posts: 10 New User
Recently my acer nitro 5 “gaming” laptop keyboard has stopped working. I’ve already ordered a replacement, however, just last night the last functioning button on the current keyboard, the power button, also stopped working. I’ve watched many videos, searched through discussion posts, and done a ridiculous amount of research before opening the laptop myself. My charger light is still blue. After trying all the methods such as the Battery reset with power button (which doesn’t work in my situation), disconnecting the battery from the motherboard and reconnecting it. Nothing worked at all. This is my last resort. The laptop is used for both school and gaming, and I’m currently missing my high-school classes as we speak because of this inconvenience (my phone is in poor condition). If anyone has a solution it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 

Answers

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    The only way is to track down with multi-meter the connections from the power button to the MB and to connect both for a second... There is no other way unfortunately.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• Kblades04
    I’m not sure how to do that and it seems pretty risky so I won’t try. I just really wish it could turn on smh 
  • batmalin
    That`s the only way without working KB, sorry. Should be the first 2 pins but I suggest not to mess with it.

• Kblades04
    edited January 2021
    I definitely won’t but thank you for your honestly effort. Acer really messed up with this gaming laptop, I should’ve just gotten a pc 
  • batmalin
    You are welcome!

• Tasoth
    Tasoth Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2022
    Based on the diagram shared by Batmalin, I was able to start my laptop.

The keyboard's flat connector is located close to the battery, and may be partially covered by black tape. There's a row of solder connections on the board, one for each pin. I shorted the two rightmost pins (right when the battery is above, left if below, depending on how you orient the laptop) by touching them both with a screw driver, while the laptop hinge was open, and the laptop started.

I keep the laptop in standby now. I'm considering drilling a hole in the plastic so that I can more easily reach these two pins if necessary.
  • Zaphod97
    Zaphod97 Member Posts: 1 New User

Thank you for the pinout! Spent days trying to get this laptop to start. Shorting 1 and 2 worked perfectly. This is just what I was looking for!

• Cosmonerik
    Cosmonerik Member Posts: 1 New User

can someone make a video tutorial of what was specified? I tend to understand better that way