Acer 515 54g wifi slowing dramatically

Bogbrush10
Bogbrush10 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

I am dual booting an acer A515 54g 71 QV with Linux mint 19.3 and Windows 10. Recently the wifi speed has become very erratic, slowing down to approx 2mbps in both softwares. My Ipad and mobile phones all connect to my wifi at around 25mbps. If I turn off laptop and leave it for a while the wifi speed increases for about 5-10 minutes and then drops back to around 2mbps again in both boots. Any suggestions? Is this thermal slowing? How do I find out and what can I do about it. 

Answers

• Bogbrush10

Tinkerer

Just an update. The laptop now only connects at around 3-5 mbps from the start. It is not thermal cooling as thermal cooling kicks in at 92'c and the core is only running at 43'c. I have tried setting wifi at 2.4ghz and at 5ghz and on automatic assignment. None of these changes make any difference.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,445 Trailblazer
    edited January 2021
    Just an update. The laptop now only connects at around 3-5 mbps from the start. It is not thermal cooling as thermal cooling kicks in at 92'c and the core is only running at 43'c. I have tried setting wifi at 2.4ghz and at 5ghz and on automatic assignment. None of these changes make any difference.

What is your WiFi/BT card model in your 515-54G? Also, take the card out and clean the card connector pins and mobo pins and check if the antenna (white/black wires) are making contact with the card? Update to the latest WiFi/BT drivers, if that doesn't fix the problem then check your modem for any faults and settings, reboot your modem first and check if that fixes the problem. If all this doesn't work? Then its your WiFi/BT card that needs changing, as its faulty. Diagnose all these problem fixes and let us know. 

515-54G WiFi/BT Card 

• Bogbrush10

Tinkerer

Hiya StevenGen, thanks for responding and thanks for your suggestions. I was reluctant to open the laptop as it is still under guarantee so I started out checking modem and line. After getting in touch with my provider they found that it was a line fault caused by work at the relay box. Their comment was "yeah, we were waiting to see who it had affected, you are not the first!" You would think the b*ggers would have warned us of likely problems. So it is all sorted now but thank you for responding. Technology, eh? You don't realise how much we all rely on it until it starts misbehaving. I am keeping my eye on my toaster ;)......
    Thanks again.