N16P3 Alpha Switch 12 SA5-271: Unable to connect an external monitor through Type-C adapter

Options
ed8623
ed8623 Member Posts: 2 New User
I have an Alpha Switch 12 SA5-271 and I am no longer able to connect an external monitor via a hub (neither HDMI nor VGA). IT used to work fine, but the laptop no longer detects the monitor, nor the monitor the laptop. 

Any suggestions, is it likely due to the USB-C connection (the hub works with another PC) or a driver issue? 

Thanks for your help,
Best regards, 
Edward

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    First check Device Manager for any red or yellow warnings. If none,  then check for fuzz, fur and other debris growing in and around the thin contact blade inside the Cport with a flashlight. I occasionally have to dig it out with a thin plastic strip as a spade and tweezers. Then re-seat the Cplug a dozen or two times to help further clean up the  contacts. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• ed8623
    ed8623 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion Jack

Yeah, so I watched a video on youtube mentioning using an old toothbrush to clean it out. So I gave it a good scrub with the tooth brush and then plugged in the hub with power connected and the computer just shut down and now it will not turn on, and no LED is showing when the power cable is turned on. The toothbrush may have had some residual humidity, so I probably shorted the circuit. :( Nightmare

Any suggestions on fixing my problem ? I'll take it to a repair shop tomorrow to see what they say. I'm not holding my breath. I had just reset everything and was starting to really like my set up besides the external screen not working. Meh!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    I doubt the toothbrush damaged anything. Just let the battery charge for a few hours. Then try it again without the hub plugged in. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ