Predator Helios 300 - Unauthorized battery discharge while powered off (PH317-52-73XS)

Options
Glancer
Glancer Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 2021 in Predator Laptops
Dear Acer and community,

I have a small problem with my Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52-73XS). Whenever I leave the device powered off and disconnected from mains charger for extended periods, the battery keeps getting drained for some reason. I just recently left the device powered down for about a month. Before the poweroff the battery was fully charged, but after a month elapsed it was drained down to 45%. I'm pretty sure the Li-Ion batteries don't self-discharge this quickly, and the RTC (real-time clock, CMOS) chip doesn't eat up this much power considering they can run off a single CR2032 battery cell for years. So there has to be a problem with this device having something unwanted draining the battery while the laptop is supposedly powered off.

No, I did not forget to disable the the Windows 10 fast boot mode.
Yes, I am aware that Windows 10 are programmed by default to go to sleep instead of full power down and I bet some of you were just waiting to accuse me of forgetting to turn off this tiny setting after reading the above paragraph, weren't you? :) But no, I tested it on a fresh Win 10 installation with those settings manually disabled and I've also tried powering it off from linux since I'm running dual-boot Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on the device with hibernation disabled and experiencing same problem. I even repeated the test by powering the device off by holding down the power button for like 4 seconds until the device supposedly went into S5 or G3 ACPI power state, not S4.

How can I disable this battery drain apart from physically disconnecting the battery?
There doesn't seem to be any related settings in the bios.

Best regards!

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You must download acer quick access:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you already disabled the charging of the USB port on the acer quick access?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Glancer
    Options
    Hello.

Dude, I was just about to come here to post a complaint that the USB ports are receiving power! It was astonishing to find out that an external hard disk that I connected to the USB port powered on and spun up while the laptop was off and disconnected from mains. I was like WTF?

I am sorry, but could you please tell me how I can disable this USB charging?
    There does not seem to be a BIOS option to do so as far as I have looked.
    Maybe I missed it?

Best regards!

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You must download acer quick access:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Glancer
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hello,
    I have downloaded the app like you said and disabled the USB charging. I can confirm that now the external HDD no longer powers on when it is connected during laptop poweroff state. Whether or not this was the reason for battery drain I do not know and will probably not know for another month at least. But I do thank you for the information. I hope this solves the problem. If not, I'll be back and revive this thread sometime in the future.

Still, I am a bit disappointed that I had to download a 3-rd party Windows program to disable such a simple setting, and the fact that the setting was even enabled by default. What, if I wasn't running Windows? How would a Linux-only user be able to disable it? Acer, why is this option hidden in an app? Please put it in the BIOS right away. Thanks.

Best regards!

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You are welcome.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer