Windows Update page blank Aspire F15

Tony_Cannon
Tony_Cannon Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited January 2021 in Aspire Laptops
My wife's Acer Aspire F15 laptop has stopped checking for Windows updates. Going to Settings, Windows Update brings up the expected page but there's nothing below 'Windows Update' to say if it's up to date or to allow a check for updates or list history etc. So I tried the Windows troubleshooter but it said there are no troubleshooters to run! Does anyone have any ideas?

Best Answers

• Tony_Cannon
    Answer ✓
    You are a real star, Jack. I hadn't thought of uninstalling and rebooting. Will give it a go and report back on both issues. Thanks so much. Tony
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>There is a Restore point on 21st December but I don't know when the Windows Update stopped working.>>>

If you tried all the recommendations in the earlier link, then press WIN+R. Enter 'winver'. What's the last update version shown? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Press WIN+R. Enter 'services.msc'. Scroll down list and right click properties on Windows Update. Change startup type to automatic and check status that its running. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tony_Cannon
    Hello again Jack - once again, thanks for helping! I checked services and Windows Update was on automatic but reported that it was 'stopping'. So I ran SFC /scannow and it found and repaired corrupt files. After a restart, Windows Update was set to Automatic trigger and was running. However, there was still nothing on the Windows Update page. I tried starting the manual Windows Update Medic Service, just in case, but that also didn't do it. Any other ideas?
  • JackE
    Perhaps there are no compatible updates for that model at the moment? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tony_Cannon
    If that were the case it would still say it's up to date and the date last checked, as well as the other options like Update History. There's only a blank screen under Windows Updates.
  • Tony_Cannon
    Thanks Jack, it does! I will work my way through all those options and hope the answer is near the top of the list! Really appreciate your help. When I get this sorted I may well be back as the touch pad has now stopped working with an exclamation mark against it in Device manager! But one thing at a time! Stay well and many thanks once again. Tony
  • JackE
    Try uninstalling the yellow warning touchpad driver. Then simply reboot without manually trying to reinstall anything. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tony_Cannon
    Answer ✓
    You are a real star, Jack. I hadn't thought of uninstalling and rebooting. Will give it a go and report back on both issues. Thanks so much. Tony
  • Tony_Cannon
    That worked and the track pad is back working Many thanks Jack. Now, to work through that long Microsoft list to get Windows Updates back working......! Watch this space!! Tony
  • JackE
    OK. We'll watch for your successful report. However, before you start, open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. If System Protection is turned on, click the System Restore button. Click next. Do you see an automatic restore point with a date/time stamp approximately when your wife first noticed it wasn't updating? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tony_Cannon
    Hello Jack, me again!
    There is a Restore point on 21st December but I don't know when the Windows Update stopped working.
    So I ran the update troubleshooter - no problems found
    I ran Disk Clean up
    I ran DISM & SFC /scannow - no problems found
    When I came to clear the Windows update cache I hit a problem because the Windows Update Service failed to stop. Remember that under Services it is saying 'stopping'. So I searched and managed to stop it using the task fill command and its PID number and then was able to clear the SoftwareDistribution folder. After a restart the Windows Update service is now started and running. So I went to Setting Windows Update and the same problem of the blank screen. 
    So I ran the Startup repair troubleshooter. It reported that it couldn't fix the startup problem, but then restarted fine!
    Looking at the Windows Update 'blank' page, i notice that at the very top of the page, only just visible, is the series of dots running as if it is trying! I notice that the hard disk is whirring hard. Under Task Manager, the |HD is running between 92-100% though none of the processes are above MBsec.
    Any further ideas would be gratefully received! If not, I can try System Restore to 21 December, though over the years that has rarely worked on any computers for me. I may have a full drive backup using Acronis dated last September if it really comes to that!!!
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>There is a Restore point on 21st December but I don't know when the Windows Update stopped working.>>>

If you tried all the recommendations in the earlier link, then press WIN+R. Enter 'winver'. What's the last update version shown? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tony_Cannon
    Morning Jack. Good news! I woke the laptop this morning to go to our online church service and it was incredibly sluggish and whirring the HDD. So I looked at Task Manager and found it was .... drum roll... Windows Update service! Yes, it is running now and has downloaded 11 important updates and is now downloading the latest feature update! So, huge thanks once again (actually twice again, counting the Touch Pad!) Best wishes, Tony 
  • JackE
    Congrats. Hope it finishes the updates. AND the new updates don't cause new problems.  :o   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tony_Cannon
    Updates finished. 20H2 installed! Windows fully up-to-date. All working!!! But doing a total Acronis backup all the same!!! Cheers. Tony
  • JackE
    Also make sure system protection is turned on in ControlPanel's restore point app. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tony_Cannon
    Thanks. Have done!