Acer Nitro 5: New laptop's keyboard keys are fading

Options
anvin_007
anvin_007 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2021 in Nitro Gaming
Hello, 

I bought the Acer Nitro 5 (10th gen Core 15) in August 2020. As can be seen in the image I shared, some of the keys are already fading. Can I get a replacement only for the keyboard from Acer? or Is there any other solution? The keys are losing colors at a faster pace. Please advise. 

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    Afriad not, the laptop is built into the top faceplate so the only option is to replace the entire thing. I guess you could look at keycap stickers but its not a great solution!
  • anvin_007

Tinkerer

Options
    Leostat said:
    Afriad not, the laptop is built into the top faceplate so the only option is to replace the entire thing. I guess you could look at keycap stickers but its not a great solution!
    Replace the entire thing? Do you mean the laptop can/should be replaced since it is under warranty?
  • Leostat
    Options
    Sorry no i meant the top faceplate. So the keybaord, cover, and trackpad / buttons are one contained peice so the entire thing would be replaced. 

Unsure if it would be covered, could always open a repair ticket and see if they would be able to do it :)
  • anvin_007

Tinkerer

Options
    Leostat said:
    Sorry no i meant the top faceplate. So the keybaord, cover, and trackpad / buttons are one contained peice so the entire thing would be replaced. 

Unsure if it would be covered, could always open a repair ticket and see if they would be able to do it :)
    Thank you. Do you think those protective skin for keyboards that are available for purchase online are good?
  • anvin_007

Tinkerer

Options
    anvin_007 said:
    Leostat said:

Thank you. Do you think those protective skin for keyboards that are available for purchase online are good?
    Hi.. what do you think about my last question?
  • Leostat
    Options
    Some people like them some people don't, I personally don't like the silicone ones as it makes the keyboard very mushy, but each to their own and j can see why people like them :)
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    You can replace the bad keys only - https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/nitro-5/
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• Leostat
    Options
    Oh cool! I thought the keys were moulded on
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    There is a video guide as well
     https://youtu.be/QLSxPPhVEYM
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• ishuaia
    ishuaia Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I have the same problem, just not that bad as yours. My recommendation is to always wash your hands with water and soap, and dry them very well before using any Acer laptop with this type of keyboard. I know, it sounds like a homework, but I think the discolored keys could be related to the use of hand cleanses gel or products based on alcohol. I bought a Predator Helios 300 around October 2020 and within 2 months of having it, the C and "Alt" key started discoloring. I haven't try testing with alcohol tho, such this is only speculation.

This is obviously a design flaw and not wear and tear, as C or ALT are keys that are not used that much. They should make the key painting strong enough to withstand ordinary hand cleaning products.

Regards,

Edited the content to hide personal information
  • Zelinsky14
    Zelinsky14 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    anvin_007 said:
    Hello, 

I bought the Acer Nitro 5 (10th gen Core 15) in August 2020. As can be seen in the image I shared, some of the keys are already fading. Can I get a replacement only for the keyboard from Acer? or Is there any other solution? The keys are losing colors at a faster pace. Please advise. 

Thank you,
    Anvin
    Hey Anvin!
    Just wanted to ask for an update....did you get in touch with acer? Was this covered under warranty? My Shift key is smothered as well! That too only in 6 months none of the other keys show such signs and I don't use my hardware harshly....
    Would you be glad if you could share any updates!
    Regards.
  • jim_mah
    jim_mah Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have the same problem.  WASD keys are fading.  My kid uses it to play roblox and he's only been using this laptop for 3 months.  It's a Nitro5.   Read somewhere else that it isn't covered under warranty when a user called in.   I have a Lenovo y500 and it's 9 years old and it doesn't have this problem.