Acer Veriton E430 Desktop need parts info

Options
System
System Member Posts: 4,521 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
This discussion was created from comments split from: New(ish) Acer laptop keeps freezing.

Answers

• Rod37
    Rod37 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have an Acer Veriton E430 Desktop. Bought in 2014. Great machine. However suddenly the disk light stopped working. Now locks up after about 1 hour use. Only thing to do is to turn off. If left loads as normal but occasionally comes up with "No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed. Switching off and on either gets it to load or to go through a windows check of disk sectors taking sometime. Can you tell me how to repair and what parts I need. In my much younger days built computers but now need quidance, but happy to repair. if possible. Name parts etc. Your help would be much appreciated. Rod37

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options
    That sounds very much like the drive is failing... What size and type of drive does yours have? HDD, SSD? You will likely want to replace it with a SSD either way, that gives such a big performance boost over a HDD, without a lot of cost. They came stock with one of several different 500GB, 1TB or 2TB drives. The motherboard supports up to four drives, one of which is likely the existing optical drive, but the power connectors for those drives are a little non-standard so you might want to start setting up the new drive in an external case.
    Basically as long as the old drive is sometimes working, you are going to want to clone it to the new drive, then replace the old with the new and discard the old one.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.