PSU sparking when i switch on pc from the socket PO3-620

Options
f7ost
f7ost Member Posts: 11 New User
edited January 2021 in Predator Desktops
Hi all, 

I recently got predator pc. But i am having an issue. When i first turned on the pc via the wall socket, the psu made a small spark, I have uploaded a video to youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUKxIAHrNPI  click to watch what im talking about. the pc has the following specs "ACER Predator Orion 3000 PO3-620 Gaming PC - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 2070 Super, 1 TB HDD & 512 GB SSD" I have also tested it using a surge protector and the same issue still occurs, please help

ive searched online and some people are suggesting this is normal and that its just an inrush of current, whereas some people are telling me to replace the psu.
if i have to replace the psu, which psu are compatible with this pc model as i noticed that the motherboard is custom made by acer so it will require specific connectors. 

EDIT: pc still boots up fine, windows works fine all temps are normal, fan speed is good, gpu works, its just that the psu sparks whenever i initially turn it on after that its fine

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    That is not good at all. :( If it's been a short enough time since you go it, try returning it to the vendor for a swap, if it's been longer than it's time to contact Acer support. They are likely going to replace the power supply, hopefully before other things fail from the surges.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • f7ost
    edited January 2021
    Options
    billsey said:
    That is not good at all. :( If it's been a short enough time since you go it, try returning it to the vendor for a swap, if it's been longer than it's time to contact Acer support. They are likely going to replace the power supply, hopefully before other things fail from the surges.
    Hi, ive already contacted acer but theyre not giving any feedback/response so far. Is it possible to replace the psu myself? its my first time dealing with pc and psu, so if you could guide me on what psu i should go for it would be greatly appreciated. Also would you know the motherboard layout for this pc? im having trouble identifying where pins should go as i dont see a 24pin connector. thanks
  • PrskMate
    PrskMate Member Posts: 69 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    f7ost said:
    billsey said:
    Hi, ive already contacted acer but theyre not giving any feedback/response so far. Is it possible to replace the psu myself? its my first time dealing with pc and psu, so if you could guide me on what psu i should go for it would be greatly appreciated. Also would you know the motherboard layout for this pc? im having trouble identifying where pins should go as i dont see a 24pin connector. thanks
    Hi, I also had problems with the PSU on a brand new P03-620. From the first day it made a strange itching noise, and yes I also had the sparking a few times. Since I didn't found a matching PSU on the market, I had to send it to the Acer service, and they changed it to a new one. You will not yet find much PSU's for this kind of motherboard on the market, at least I couldn't. Insist at your local Acer service to fix the problem like emails, phone calls, whatever possibility they offer for contact. Probably it's an issue with the whole series.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yeah, currently the easiest way to get an ATX12VO PSU is to buy it from Acer (or one of the other manufacturers using the new standard), since the secondary market doesn't yet have much available.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • f7ost
    Options
    PrskMate said:
    Hi, I also had problems with the PSU on a brand new P03-620. From the first day it made a strange itching noise, and yes I also had the sparking a few times. Since I didn't found a matching PSU on the market, I had to send it to the Acer service, and they changed it to a new one. You will not yet find much PSU's for this kind of motherboard on the market, at least I couldn't. Insist at your local Acer service to fix the problem like emails, phone calls, whatever possibility they offer for contact. Probably it's an issue with the whole series.
    Ive managed to order a replacement psu from acer, ive swapped it out but the sparking still occurs. When you got your psu replaced did it still spark? Im going to assume its normal for the acer supplied psu to spark as a result of inrush of current, but i could be wrong. Would be awesome if an acer representative was more active on these forums, you would think spending good money on a machine would at least come with decent customer support but i guess not...