USB Recovery creator. Nitro 5 AN517-51.

Options
Gene_Starwind
Gene_Starwind Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 2021 in Windows 10
I have a Nitro 5 AN517-51. I want to make a USB recovery drive. I need it for several reasons, but the main one is is that I want to replace the 512GB C:\ drive with a 1TB and I know that I will need to do a full install and then restore from a prepared backup. Sadly, I can find no tools that allow me to do this.

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    Does the windows built in tool not do what you want? start -> recovery drive

It should create a bootable USB, and give you an option to backup drivers
  • Gene_Starwind
    Gene_Starwind Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Leostat said:
    Does the windows built in tool not do what you want? start -> recovery drive

It should create a bootable USB, and give you an option to backup drivers
    Not exactly. I was looking for an installer. Just like the disc I would use on my desktop, then restore from a backup. I can't use a mere backup. I am talking about removing the current system drive and replacing it with a larger one. That means a full install as if new, then a direct restore from a prepared backup, which I can easily make.
    I was able to do this with a Lenovo laptop I have. They have a tool you can get and then download the full installer and load it directly to a USB flash drive, so that you can do a direct install from there, because neither laptop has an optical drive.
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    I don't quite understand, the system restore tool creates a installer 'disk' which can be used to install windows as well as all the drivers needed . It's use case seems to be what you want:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-to-restore-a-windows-10-system-image-to-an/e20992ca-5641-4f7c-bb09-3895d0732162

You wrote the backup to a usb or a disk and can boot from it

Another option would be the media creation tool which would do your install as new, and manually copying them across

Most drives also come with their party tools to do this, or make them available to download, for example Samsung has a drive migration tools which just copies the drive , and then you use something like disk management to increase the volume size or to create a new partition using the remaining size