AN515-55

HappyHands
HappyHands Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Hi I just bought Acer Nitro AN - 51- 55- 56R2 and I have 256 gb Pcie Nvme WD Sn530  that came with the laptop. I wanted to upgrade my storage so I bought another 500 gb 970 evo plus NVMe.So I wrnt to the service center asked them to perform a clone and asked to install the 2nd nvme on the laptop. Service center ended up giving up during the installation because there was BSOD. We teststed swapping the drives and its still a no slot 1 says nvme slot 2 says sata / nvme. So I went home with 500gb 970 evo plus installed instead but i need more storage . So ive done alot of reasearch and found out that I need to enable ahci in order for it to work. Now i was ableto boot on ahci if I purchase another nvme which is 1 tb will it work this time? Just dont want to waste  money TIA hopefully you can help me

Answers

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    It should work as long as you don`t make any RAID arrays with your existing two, if you leave it in AHCI mode you will not face problem anymore.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• HappyHands

Tinkerer

Hi thanks for your solutuon i downloaded hwinfo and found out that the second slot is pcie 3.0 but have 1x maimum link width would it still work?
  • HappyHands

Tinkerer

this is the screenshot
  • HappyHands

Tinkerer

Im kinda getting confused now so hwinfo is telling me that slot one ia using 4x lane and 2nd lane is only capable of 1x lane? But why advertise raid 0 though.. i dont know if i should but nvme drive now.. i dont really know if its going to work at full speed or work at all if hwinfo is right
  • batmalin
    This is from the specs of your model- M.2 Slot 2x2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4.
    Are you sure you are looking at the right PCIe slot in HWINFO?

• HappyHands

Tinkerer

These are the only options
  • HappyHands

Tinkerer

theae are the only options 
  • HappyHands

Tinkerer

this is for the first slot where can I find the second one there are only two express root port and the second one only shows x1 pcie lane thanks for your help should i return my laptop?
  • HappyHands

Tinkerer

another picture ... why would they even put 1x lane on an m.2 slot.. hope somebody can help me
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    The 1x slot should still be plenty fast enough, it should be able to do a max of 1GB/s 
  • HappyHands

Tinkerer

So i could install nvme on 2nd drive and expect 1000Mbps read and write?
  • batmalin
    You better call Acer support showing them the same like here.