Is my laptop compatible with a nvme m.2 solid state drive??? Aspire E 15 E5-575G-5p3VG

ag1996
ag1996 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited January 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Is an Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-5p3VG laptop compatible with an nvme m.2 solid state drive?  It has an m.2 drive in it but I’m not sure whether it’s nvme or not.

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    It is a NVME slot it looks like:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJFeq_QvybU

previous forum posts also suggest that its a 2x slot rather than a 4x :)

hope that helps

• ag1996

Tinkerer

Leostat, thanks for confirming that it is indeed a nvme slot.  However, I am mostly familiar with SATA SSD drives so I’m not sure what you mean by 2X & 4X?  In order to ensure I buy the right nvme m.2 drive do I need to be on the lookout for one that is 2X as you say?
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited January 2021
    so thats the speed the drive is able to run at, the higher the number the more lanes are avilable to the drive. 

So when you are looking for one as long as it is NVME it will work, but dont worry about the speeds to much as it will be limited due to the slot :), all nvme drives work in all slots, you could spend a fortune on a brand new Gen 4 super speedy one, it would work, but just be slow so would be a massive waste of money haha!
  • ag1996

Tinkerer

Okay thanks!  It already has an m.2 SSD in it but it’s only 256 gb that’s why I asked.  I would prefer a 1 TB.
  • ag1996

Tinkerer

Leostat, I have one more question for you.  I have decided since the only reason i am even considering replacing the hard drive is to obtain additional storage I have opted to simply install a new 2.5 SATA SSD as a secondary drive in the extra drive bay my laptop has.  I see no point in going through the cloning process for a new m.2 drive when I just want additional storage.  I’m pretty sure the 2.5 SATA SSD I’m looking at is compatible with my laptop but I need some verification.  The drive I’m considering is the Samsung evo 860 500 gb(Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E500B/AM).  If you or anyone else knows that this drive will definitely work please let me know.  Once again, the pc I have is an Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-5p3VG.  Thanks to anyone who has an answer!!!