Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-61 Buyers Are Not Rubbish!

FizikPsixFizikPsix Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 10 in Predator Laptops
Hi Acer.  These are the buyers of the PH517-61 which you safely abandoned.  But we gave good money and we want the same support! 
We want:
1) Fixed freesync on latest drivers
2) Introduce support for AMD 3000 series and possibly 5000 series.
3.1) Introduce support for high-speed memory 2666 and higher! When working in 2/4 slots.
3.2) Or unlock the bios and let people choose the frequency themselves.

Can you do it!  The chipset of the motherboard is B450 and it supports AMD 3000 and 5000 series.  And also with RAM above 2666!  Don't make buyers regret that we chose you!  We are still waiting!

FAQ & Answers

• deksman2deksman2 Member Posts: 43 Devotee
    FizikPsix said:
    Hi Acer.  These are the buyers of the PH517-61 which you safely abandoned.  But we gave good money and we want the same support! 
    We want:
    1) Fixed freesync on latest drivers
    2) Introduce support for AMD 3000 series and possibly 5000 series.
    3.1) Introduce support for high-speed memory 2666 and higher! When working in 2/4 slots.
    3.2) Or unlock the bios and let people choose the frequency themselves.

Can you do it!  The chipset of the motherboard is B450 and it supports AMD 3000 and 5000 series.  And also with RAM above 2666!  Don't make buyers regret that we chose you!  We are still waiting!

Seconded.
    And in case number 2 wasn't too clear, FizikPsix referred to 3000 and 5000 series Zen processors (aka, Zen 2 and Zen 3).
  • pfearn2303pfearn2303 Member Posts: 1 New User

I had no clue about the locked bios and if I did I wouldn't have touched Acer. Never again

I had no clue about the locked bios and if I did I wouldn't have touched Acer. Never again
    Most OEM's lock BIOSes on laptops - supposedly to prevent people from overclocking their machines (which really doesn't make any sense).

• FizikPsixFizikPsix Member Posts: 2 New User
    I'm very upset that Acer doesn't want to support their laptops.
  • evolucion888evolucion888 Member Posts: 4 New User
    A brief summary of my experiencie.

The static after sleep never got fixed no matter what drivers I used. It got fixed when I upgraded my Windows 10 to 2004

2) I can upgrade my GPU drivers without issues, as far as I don't use the Factory Reset. If you do that, Freesync no longer work, but does not require the installation of the original drivers, by just using CRU add the Freesync Support range with the tool after installing the drivers, delete the unused monitors on the list, reboot and voila, it works.

3) Don't use the Ryzen power profile, it is meant for first gen Ryzen to allow the CPU to be stuck at 90% so the CPU can control its power states, not needed for second Gen. If you use the Ryzen power profile, the CPU will be stuck at 3.40GHz no matter what. If you change it to balanced, it will allow the CPU to idle at 1.5GHz but ramp the clockspeeds up to 4.10GHz during light workloads, allowing the system to feel snappier on lightly threaded applications as the Windows power scheme already contains the fixes for the second gen Ryzen. Ryzen 3x00 series clock behavior works the same no matter if you use generic balanced or the Ryzen performance as it already supports CCCP and does its own lol.

4) The latest Ryzen Master tool works like a champ and allows you to ramp up the memory clocks when you upgrade the RAM in the case that it only runs at 2,133MHz. Not tested with higher than 2,400MHz.

5) Battery life depletes quickly, already 30% in less than a year, those Panasonic cells aren't really that great.
  • dcmoddcmod Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited February 23
    I second this request , Acer please update this machine Video drivers .
    Evolucion,, what adrenaline drivers are you using which does not have the static after sleep ?
    edited March 31
    dcmod said:
    I second this request , Acer please update this machine Video drivers .
    Evolucion,, what adrenaline drivers are you using which does not have the static after sleep ?
    For me, the static after sleep resolved when I started using Radeon PRO Enterprise drivers, but I think that had more to do with Windows being updated rather than the drivers themselves.
    At any rate, any modern drivers will work... and even clean installing them is fine (in that case you just need to use CRU software to restore Freesync functionality).

But yes, Acer, we need a BIOS update for this unit which integrates LATEST AGESA and support for Zen 2 and Zen 3 CPU's, along with a fix for the RAM speed problem (and integration of XMP profiles).