2019 Acer Helios 300 (1660ti) GPU fan not spinning but making a drill noise.

MasterZo
MasterZo Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hello, I bought a Helios 300 on Ebay (brand new) in may of 2020. The laptop has had incredible performance with few problems. Then in December of 2020, i left my pc on all night, and realizing this, I turned it off, but by holding the power button. When I turned it back on later, this drill noise randomly started, I later found out it was the gpu fan with predator sense. It said the GPU fan had 0 rpm. at first the noise was very loud for a fan, but then it started getting louder and louder and more high pitched until I got frightened and held the power button to turn it off. I opened the laptop up to see what the problem was. I cleaned the fans and ran the laptop with the back off. The gpu fan didn't spin at all. (also one of the times i turned it on when the noise was happening, the noise stopped, but then there was this burnt rubber smell coming from it.) After this I had to take it to staples to get it fixed. It worked fine after that. But a few weeks later it had the same problem again. I somehow fixed it by windows repair tool or something like that when it popped up on my screen that something was damaged. The noise stopped for a month or so. Then, today, I turned it on and the noise was there again. I tried to fix it the same way as before but it didn't work. Now we're here. Is there any way I can fix this on my own? Since staples didn't let me know how they fixed it, I can't do it on my own. Thank you 

Best Answer

• MasterZo

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    travster8 said:
    Hi, I hope you're well and had a good Christmas.  I am having the very same issue.  It makes a drilling noise as it tries to spin the fan.  I have been taking the back off and giving it a slight push to help It over come the inertia of spinning then it spins fine but makes excessive noise. 
    Were you able to resolve the issue in the end? if so how did you do it?
    I think ill have to take it to a computer shop in the end but its very frustrating. 
    @travster8 I have found a solution! It took a while, but if you keep turning the laptop on and off, windows will try to diagnose the problem, and if the gpu fan doesnt turn on while it does this, it will be fixed at the end of windows's automatic thing.

Answers

• travster8
    travster8 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi, I hope you're well and had a good Christmas.  I am having the very same issue.  It makes a drilling noise as it tries to spin the fan.  I have been taking the back off and giving it a slight push to help It over come the inertia of spinning then it spins fine but makes excessive noise. 
    I think ill have to take it to a computer shop in the end but its very frustrating. 
  • MasterZo

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    travster8 said:
    @travster8 I have found a solution! It took a while, but if you keep turning the laptop on and off, windows will try to diagnose the problem, and if the gpu fan doesnt turn on while it does this, it will be fixed at the end of windows's automatic thing.
  • ggmnstr
    ggmnstr Member Posts: 4 New User
    so just turn it on and off? I’m sorry I’m really stupid when it comes to this stuff my laptop is making all kinds of noises
  • MasterZo

Tinkerer

ggmnstr said:
    so just turn it on and off? I’m sorry I’m really stupid when it comes to this stuff my laptop is making all kinds of noises
    Hold the power button to fully shut it off, then turn it on, then do it until windows tries to automatically fix it. (turn off if you hear noise)
  • ggmnstr
    MasterZo said:
    ggmnstr said:
    Hold the power button to fully shut it off, then turn it on, then do it until windows tries to automatically fix it. (turn off if you hear noise)
    I’m getting this windows didn’t start right pop up thing what does it look like when windows tries to automatically fix it?
  • MasterZo

Tinkerer

ggmnstr said:
    MasterZo said:
    ggmnstr said:
    I’m getting this windows didn’t start right pop up thing what does it look like when windows tries to automatically fix it?
    like when the predator logo poops up, there will be a buffering circle below it, then text will pop up below that
  • ggmnstr
    It keeps bringing up a menu that windows didn’t load right I got it in 2018 if that helps the battery also is ***** if I unplug it it turns off
  • travster8
    travster8 Member Posts: 2 New User
    MasterZo said:
    travster8 said:
    Thank you very much for the reply, I have tried that, now only time will tell if that works for the long run. I think it may have :D  Either way thank you for the response. Take care. 
  • MasterZo

Tinkerer

ggmnstr said:
    It keeps bringing up a menu that windows didn’t load right I got it in 2018 if that helps the battery also is ***** if I unplug it it turns off
    oh, mine's the 2019 version, i dont know if that changes anything. Also that battery sounds trash. About the menu I think that happened a few times too. Sorry, maybe call Acer about it?