ACER Aspire 7 - Battery Life

Nad715
Nad715 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited January 2021 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks
I recently bought an Acer Aspire 7 - I've only been using for a few days.  I noticed when I log in that the battery life keeps changing from low battery to fuller battery.  At 91% it might tell me I have an hour and so many minutes left.  I'll check again and it will indicate 3 hours.  Given the description stated battery life would be 8-9 hours, I'm disappointed that this is happening.  I'm not using the laptop for gaming at all, it was suggested to me for coding and some visual work due to the dedicated graphic card.  At the moment at 89% it indicates I have 5 hours. I'm not sure if it's a faulty battery and should return it, I'm still within my return policy? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Windows doesn't do very good with battery estimations until it has gone through a few calibration cycles. It's kind of guessing on the fly right now. To force calibration run it on battery until Windows shuts it down due to low battery, then fully charge it before turning it back on. After a few of those cycles it should be pretty accurate...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Windows doesn't do very good with battery estimations until it has gone through a few calibration cycles. It's kind of guessing on the fly right now. To force calibration run it on battery until Windows shuts it down due to low battery, then fully charge it before turning it back on. After a few of those cycles it should be pretty accurate...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Nad715
    Nad715 Member Posts: 4 New User
    @billsey thanks for the info! I came across a link last night also suggesting calibration.  It seems to be a common suggestion in other threads.  I'll give that a go and hope for the best. Thanks again! :)