I just bought a Aspire C24-963 All in one and I am attempting put LMDE 4 on it but the BOS is weird

Sparkles01
Sparkles01 Member Posts: 1 New User
does any one know if the new ACERS do no work well with Linux because I am having boot issues that do not make sense and I have been loading Linux on machines new and old for 35 years and in this bios I can only seem to find a WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER and no HD which was already strange to me since I did not get it with NVMe drive?

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    What is the drive controller set to in the UEFI? ACER send machine with the Intel RST AHCI usually which isnt supported by linux yet 

If you dont want windows at all, you can change the controler mode to AHCI and it should work, if you do want windows you can modify windows to allow it to boot under ahci, then change settings, and *maybe* boot into both, but windows has a habbit of just not working when you do this:
    https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-installation-on-computers-with-intel-r-rst-enabled/15347  
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    Windows Boot Manager is the UEFI boot environment. For Linux you will either be adding an entry to there for the Linux install (if you want dual boot) or replacing the Windows Boot Manager with Grub (if you are an all Linux type). I believe all current flavors of Linux support UEFI, since no machines have been built that don't support it since the release of Windows 8.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.