laptop acer a5 515 51G wont turn on, please help

Hello everyone and a happy new year 2021.

I am contacting the forum because I purchased about a year and halve a go a Acer A5 515 51g in Portugal and worked while for a while. meanwhile my partner drop some liquid on it and even though I was able to get it to run, after i cleaned the entire motherboard with a special electronic components alchool. Until a day I was working and turned it off. When I tried to start it up, it wouldnt turn on. After troubleshooting all possible reasons  I decided to bring it to a electronics repair lab, who kept it for an entire month and couldnt find out what the problem was. So I collect the device and when home just placed it on a corbert. |Today after playing around with it, I noticed that when on the power adaptor, if I left it plugged in and pushed with a clip the reset battery button the amber led would turn off and after releasing the button of the reset it would for a split second turn the adptor led from yellow to amber collour. Which made me believe the MB was not dead. So I checked some other post of someone who experienced a similar problem and decided to give it a go. So I cleaned the swg1 and did a new battery reset after pressing the on off button for 30 seconds. After that tried to turn it on and suddenly the laptop started. After that, I tried to turn it off with the on off button and machine wouldnt turn off which I believe to suggest a problem with the keyboard according to the flow chart. So I had to remove the battery to turn it off. Again I tried to turn it on and wouldnt turn on, so I repeat the entire process with no success. Is there someone who can tell me or confirm the issue is with the KB and the button on/off? If that is confirmed I will order a new keyboard. Thanks in advance for any feedback. Best regards and stay safe.

Best Answer

• aasaafonso
    aasaafonso Member Posts: 5 New User
    Answer ✓
    Dear Billsey,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Could you confirm if the issue is or not with the power button, please? Wouldnt like to spend money on a new KB if that is not the issue, thank you.

Answers

• aasaafonso
    By the way, if I do a battery reset with adaptor plugged in, while adaptor is plugged in and press battery reset button goes yellow for a split second and changes to blue amber colour, which tells me that the mother board is ok and receives power!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    For your Aspire A515-51G the power button is a part of the keyboard, which is bonded to the top case half. It sounds like the power button isn't making contact when the button is pressed. The connection to the power jack is a cable to the motherboard and the status LEDs are on a separate daughter board that also holds those USB sockets. That means you are likely correct, the lights are indicating the motherboard is at least partially functional. We will need to know some info before we can give you the part number for the keyboard... What color is your case (I think they were all black, but just to be sure)? Which language is the keyboard set for?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • aasaafonso
    The part number of the KB is not an issue, as I can read the PN on it. To me the only issue is to verify if my assumption is correct. I am a ICT support experienced analyst with more than 20 years experience. Just want to be sure that my own analysis is correct. cause if there was an isssue with the motherboard the laptop would not have booted after I cleaned the contacts of the SWG1 which were indeed full of mock.  can see partially specially on the connecting cable that liquid have fallen on it, even after dismounting completely the laptop and tried to clean it the best I could.The thing is that for some reason, when I cleaned the SWG1 and did the battery reset procedure by following the troubleshooting flow chart, that for a reason I dont understand and while adptor was plugged in, the unit wouldnt turn off, so the only option was to remove the adptor from othe dc jack and unplug the internal battery. Also the battery is full. When I run the test with the SGW2 while power cord is plugged, once I release the SWG2 button, I see for a split secon the yellow led turning into amber colour.Also when I press the on/off button, nothing happens, whihc would suggest the power button connection of the KB may be causing the problem, right?
  • aasaafonso
    Answer ✓
    Dear Billsey,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Could you confirm if the issue is or not with the power button, please? Wouldnt like to spend money on a new KB if that is not the issue, thank you.
  • billsey
    The PN marked on the keyboard is likely from the manufacturer and for only the keyboard. Acer has bonded that to the upper case and they have their own part number. I don't think the keyboard itself allows disassembly or else you could pull it apart and clean the membranes. My guess is that the contamination you see soaked into the keyboard, leaving something that keeps the membranes from getting good contact when they are pressed together with a keypress, and since the first key you press is power you are seeing it there first. Likely if it were up and running there would be other keys with issues as well.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • aasaafonso
    Hi Billsey, thank you for your feedback. Meanwhile, today I disassembled the ravits and removed it to clean and run tests. Sadly nothing improved, however, I did noticed the lcd screws on the side of the on button completely oxidized which suggests the membrane circuit of the KB could also be filled with rust. Anyway, after a lot of hard work to get the kb out and running tests, now is ready to receive a new keyboard I will order online this week. By the way the KB is PT Portugal. I prefer to work with or USA keyboard.
  • billsey
    The Acer part number for the Portuguese language keyboard is: 6B.GP4N2.019, the part number for the US/International keyboard is: 6B.GP4N2.001. Both of those include the upper case.