Is Acer Aspire E1-731-4675 Power Button damaged?

NorsKenR
NorsKenR Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I have an Acer Aspire E1-731-4675 that has been behaving erratically, spontaneously shutting itself off at unpredictable intervals and sometimes getting very hot during use. I thought it might be the fan but it appears to be free of dust and working normally. I just recently noticed that the power button seems to be noticeably lower than the keyboard surface, with a visible (if thin) rim showing around it. (JPG picture attached.) Is it supposed to be flush, and is the fact that it's not a sign it is damaged and causing problems for the computer?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,832 Trailblazer
    How do you know it's getting hot? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NorsKenR

Tinkerer

Because the person using it had it in his lap and it got so hot he had to move it.
  • JackE
    Never set a laptop on a soft lap or surface for any length of time!!! Soft surfaces will block the air flow between the intake and exhaust ports on the bottom and sides. The mainboard and cpu/gpu can suffer heat damage if the laptop is not placed on a hard surface. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NorsKenR

Tinkerer

Thank you for reinforcing that. However, my question was about the power button, whether it is supposed to be below the level of the keyboard as shown in the JPG photo I attached. 
  • NorsKenR

Tinkerer

Jack E: can you please specifically describe the main symptoms of heat damage to the mainboard, CPU, or GPU? I have only been getting user-level, not technical descriptions from the person who uses it. Is there any kind of internal diagnostic, even if it's a 3rd-party app to download, that would specifically say, "this unit is heat-damaged"? We have been considering replacing the unit but if it's genuinely heat-damaged that would clinch it. Thank you.
  • JackE
    >>>spontaneously shutting itself off at unpredictable intervals >>>

This is the main symptom if the CPU chip reaches above about ~85*C. Spontaneous thermally- induced shutdown for this model can easily happen if (1) the air vents are partially blocked as earlier noted, (2) the cpu's fan blades & heatsink are clogged with dust & debris, and/or (3) the thermal paste between the heatsink and the cpu has dried out. If this excessive temperature happens too many times, the integrated GPU is usually the first thing to go. Black screen. I suggest a good housecleaning, a repaste with Kryonaut or ArcticMX4 thermal paste and always set the laptop on a hard surface so it can breathe will likely resolve the spontaneous shutdowns and help prolong the cpu life. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ