Helios 500 with updated GPUs and CPUs

TCliner
TCliner Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited January 2021 in Predator Laptops
Hello, dear community,

I am having a Helios 500 with the i7-8750h for quite a while now. Unfortunately, I am pretty impressed by the thermals compared to ANY other laptop I know from friends or I tested.
Although I ran into trouble recently (check that post if you want) I am generally pretty happy with the device and started to do some research.

It turns out that the Helios 500 actually has one of the best cooling designs out there in laptops (of course there are better from XMG with high powered i9 desktop-chips but that is something different)
and I am wondering why the design is not continued. 

I also saw a video from CES or so where ACER made a water-cooled version with even better thermal (testing purposes of course) and this thing seems to be beating up every other laptop.

I know there is the Helios 700 but it isn't quite the same. 

SO: Does someone know if the design has a future and why the Helios 500 was so ***** hard to even get due to very few units (at least in my country)?

Thanks for ready and have a nice day

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    edited January 2021
    Its all a design factor and what problem(s) Acer has to fit the most and up to date motherboard and all the latest components into that particular space. Your Helios 500 is catered for a specific budget and laptop market and comes with specific specs and technologies for its intended design and to also be competitive against Acer's competition within that price range, like with a high end cpu/gpu, M.2 NVMe drive and also a SATA-3 2.5" drive and other components into a specific space. Components improve and have different shapes and need different designs, that is why no model can be accommodated into the same case and space but, I do agree that allot of cooling compromises have been and are made in todays gaming laptops and allot of laptops are running way too hot, as their ventilation and cooling systems are way below inadequate for extreme gaming that they are designed for. Btw, I have owned and experienced a few of those laptops and they have been a pain in the back side and have gotten that bad that I've either had to completely modify them or get rid of them. 

Helios 500 internals