Temperature issue PH315-51

Ghazal
Ghazal Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited January 2021 in Predator Laptops
Hey, I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop, Model: PH315-51
I purchased it on 28/09/2019, specifications: Core i7-8750H 
GTX 1060 6GB

The laptop has not been normal recently. I have not been playing games for a while, but when I tried to play recently, there are huge fps drops, for example: I was playing League Of Legends with my normal settings (Highest) and the FPS was dropping from 120 to lower than 10, is that even normal? I checked PredatorSense and I found out that the CPU temperature is very high. It is usually 94+, even now while typing this thread, the temperature is 96C and I am not even doing anything heavy. 

I have tried some of these tutorials for power optimization(undervolting) and that MSI Afterburner, it lowered the temperature a little yesterday but today it's back high again so I uninstalled MSI Afterburner and removed the power settings I added. (Screenshot of the PredatorSense while typing the thread is without any custom power option / MSI Afterburner)

Screenshot of PredatorSense after a league of legends game with MSI Afterburner and custom power options: 

Note: I have an external fan under the laptop (?)

I'm not really sure what I have to do? and I'm very afraid something would happen to the laptop, I have online exams soon and all my data are on the laptop.. What do I have to do? Do I have to repaste the CPU? or do I have to follow another guide for undervoltage? Please help me, thanks!

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    edited January 2021
    First, the laptop wont be damaged, its designed to take high temps and if it gets critically hot then, it shuts off and you can reboot it once it cools down!

The other thing that you can do is, open the back (if its under warranty then don't, let Acer do it) and repaste the cpu/gpu with a high end paste like the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme or a top grade paste (use the pea dot method) and clean your fans from dirt and felt and see if they are not damaged and working 100%. Also and reading that you say "Note: I have an external fan under the laptop (?)" and that you have undervolted it, then it must be a ventilation internal fan and/or an internal cpu/gpu pasting issue. There is no magic pill to cool laptops (besides what I've mentioned and what you have with the under laptop fan and undervolting) its not like a desktop where you can water cool it, put bigger cpu fans and case fans and even use hydrogen for extreme cooling. Try the above and see what happens and also use a top cooling pad and undervolt it too. 

Btw: you can mod a laptop with water cooling (it has been done) but, its a very involved mod and you need allot of components and expertise to do such a mod. 
  • Ghazal

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    First, the laptop wont be damaged, its designed to take high temps and if it gets critically hot then, it shuts off and you can reboot it once it cools down!

The other thing that you can do is, open the back (if its under warranty then don't, let Acer do it) and repaste the cpu/gpu with a high end paste like the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme or a top grade paste (use the pea dot method) and clean your fans from dirt and felt and see if they are not damaged and working 100%. Also and reading that you say "Note: I have an external fan under the laptop (?)" and that you have undervolted it, then it must be a ventilation internal fan and/or an internal cpu/gpu pasting issue. There is no magic pill to cool laptops (besides what I've mentioned and what you have with the under laptop fan and undervolting) its not like a desktop where you can water cool it, put bigger cpu fans and case fans and even use hydrogen for extreme cooling. Try the above and see what happens and also use a top cooling pad and undervolt it too. 

Btw: you can mod a laptop with water cooling (it has been done) but, its a very involved mod and you need allot of components and expertise to do such a mod. 
    Hey, thanks for the fast response, I really appreciate it! Do I only need to clean the fans and apply a new thermal paste? Or do I also have to change 'thermal pads'? I don't even know what that is but I read it somewhere. Can you provide me with a video tutorial url to follow please? Thank you!!

Is this the paste required btw? https://egypt.souq.com/eg-en/thermal-grizzly-kryonaut-thermal-interface-material-paste-1-0-g-45214075/i/?gclid=CjwKCAiAouD_BRBIEiwALhJH6DravPDm5jy7KcEAOT9xPYxiBMyh1ispEOhlVO30bu1JK1gRc9suKBoCNh8QAvD_BwE 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    edited January 2021
    Ghazal said:
    StevenGen said:

Hey, thanks for the fast response, I really appreciate it! Do I only need to clean the fans and apply a new thermal paste? Or do I also have to change 'thermal pads'? I don't even know what that is but I read it somewhere. Can you provide me with a video tutorial url to follow please? Thank you!!

Is this the paste required btw? https://egypt.souq.com/eg-en/thermal-grizzly-kryonaut-thermal-interface-material-paste-1-0-g-45214075/i/?gclid=CjwKCAiAouD_BRBIEiwALhJH6DravPDm5jy7KcEAOT9xPYxiBMyh1ispEOhlVO30bu1JK1gRc9suKBoCNh8QAvD_BwE 
    Don't use "the Thermal Pads" as they are pads that are supposedly the same as paste but they are not as good, use the Extreme Paste with the "Pea Dot Method" on both cpu and gpu (don't worry that this guide says to do it only for the AMD cpu) and then put the heatsink onto the cpu and gpu back and secure the heatsink (the paste in your link is their standard paste) use their "NEW Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme" paste as that is made especially for very hot and extreme cpu/gpu temps like you are experiencing. . 
  • SilvaGi
    SilvaGi Member Posts: 277 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    you will need 1mm arctic thermal pads for the VRAM or get K5 pro thermal paste for VRAM and other componets, use kryonaut for cpu and gpu
    Do what @StevenGen recommends. I have and got lowered temps
    Please Click Yes if Ive answered your question.
    Current: Custom Desktop Build (5800X, 16GB, 3070ti)
    Previous: Aspire 5 A515 44 R8RH
    (R5 4500u, 8GB, AMD Radeon Vega 6 iGPU)
    Previous: Nitro 5 AN515 55 (i7,16GB,1650ti)
    Thanks SilvaGi!

• Ghazal

Tinkerer

edited January 2021
    StevenGen said:
    Ghazal said:
    StevenGen said:

Don't use "the Thermal Pads" as they are pads that are supposedly the same as paste but they are not as good, use the Extreme Paste with the "Pea Dot Method" on both cpu and gpu (don't worry that this guide says to do it only for the AMD cpu) and then put the heatsink onto the cpu and gpu back and secure the heatsink (the paste in your link is their standard paste) use their "NEW Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme" paste as that is made especially for very hot and extreme cpu/gpu temps like you are experiencing. . 
    Hey, thanks again for your response! Unfortunately, I can't find the Kryonaut Extreme in Egypt, could you tell me about any other alternatives? 

This is a list for the ones available in Egypt: https://egypt.souq.com/eg-en/thermal-paste/s/

And how many grams do I need? Also, I am going to only re-paste the CPU and the GPU right? 
  • Ghazal

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    Ghazal said:
    StevenGen said:

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, the Kryonaut Extreme is not available in Egypt. Can you tell me any other alternatives? 
    Here is a list for some of the pastes available: https://egypt.souq.com/eg-en/thermal-paste/s/
    Also, so I need to re-paste the CPU and GPU, right? What do I need to buy to clean the old paste from them? 
    And how many grams do I need? Is 1 gram enough?
  • Bardol
    Bardol Member Posts: 2 New User
    If you are doing nothing heavy that temps are not normal. You HAVE to clean it from dust and repaste. Repasting is not easy so you should go to someone that works with computers.
    What's your model? It has the 1660 or 1660 ti?
  • Ghazal

Tinkerer

Bardol said:
    If you are doing nothing heavy that temps are not normal. You HAVE to clean it from dust and repaste. Repasting is not easy so you should go to someone that works with computers.
    What's your model? It has the 1660 or 1660 ti?
    I have GTX 1060
  • Ghazal

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    Ghazal said:
    StevenGen said:

Hey, thanks again! I can't find the Kryonaut Extreme paste in Egypt, could you tell me other alternatives? 
  • kellotheym
    kellotheym Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm going to only re-paste the CPU and the GPU right?

CBD Oil