E 15 E5-576G-5762 - Inbuilt Mic won't pick up voice until speak directly in to it

roshanamin
roshanamin Member Posts: 62 Die Hard WiFi Icon
Have been facing problem since long and can't put a finger to it as to why or when exactly this happened but on my E15 Aspire E5-576G-5762 I am facing a problem where until I go and speak cms away from the inbuilt mic, it does not pick up my voice say even from 15 inches away, basically sitting directly in front of it. I am attaching a screenshot using software listing all details of volume of my device. I have never had a physical mishap with my laptop. At most have removed the panel to check on the RAM section. I even very gingerly inserted a sim ejector tool to dislodge any possible grime but nothing works. I do not have any yellow exclamation marks in my device manager. I am on Win 10 Ver 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685). Since mic does work when I go extremely close and speak, I am doubtful of of software issue. How can I resolve this?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Right click sound icon in the right tray. Click settings. Click input device properties. Set mic volume to 100%. Click additional device properties in right pane. Click levels tab. Slide and apply mic volume and boost slider to maximum. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• roshanamin
    Have done that before but done it once again. PFA detailed reports for diagnosis. The goal is to avoid reset or restore windows. 
  • JackE
    Open Device Manager. Do you see any red or yellow warnings? If none, click on view tab and click on show hidden devices. Any other warnings pop up. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• roshanamin
    Adding Recording troubleshooting diagnosis report as well. Need to state that under settings > sound > test your microphone tab with the mic graphic icon and a status bar besides it which is active and live based on the noises being picked up actively by the mic under 100% mic volume and full mic boost slider, the blue active bar is flicker only up to say 1 percent if we consider the whole status bar as 100% but if I even just as much even simply slide my index finger over the mic hole the blue bar starts to play by jumping forward and backward and if I tap a bit hard then the blue line goes up to full 100 percent of the status bar and comes back, as I also stated earlier, I tried putting a flat ended sim ejector tool gently inside the mic hole to remove any possible grime and have even blown in to it strongly but no use. In mic properties, the default format is grayed out at 2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz  (DVD Quality). Had turned off both tabs under Exclusive mode but when I clicked Restore defaults, both tabs are selected as active again. Disable all sound effects is selected. Listen to this device under listen tab is not selected. And in set up mic where it asks me to read a line, sitting right in front in folded arms distance, the mic does not pick up my voice but if I go right on top of it or tap it, slider moves up to yelloe,red and says mic is set. I am thinking this may not be any software issue (I may be wrong) but if it were a hardware issue then maybe it would not have worked at all but the real issue is extremely low mic sensitivity which was not the case earlier and have never caused any physcial damage to the machine. Have just about opened up part tab for access to HDD bay and RAM slot, that's about it. Perplexed and troubled as I really like dictating in Word documents. Using headset I have to manage but would like to restore sensitivity of my built in mic as before. That audio services not responding as per report is a thing and I have executed first few steps of checking on services but has not worked out. Don't know if DFX sound boosting software (which is pretty amazing and much required for this tiny output on the speakers laptop originally) is causing any issue in Mic? While checking about Realtek High Definition Audio snap in console got added in Event Viewer now and no report under that. Will follow further steps as are advised. 
  • roshanamin
    JackE said:
    Open Device Manager. Do you see any red or yellow warnings? If none, click on view tab and click on show hidden devices. Any other warnings pop up. Jack E/NJ
    No warnings including show hidden devices
  • JackE
    Download and try running some of these freeware driver tools to see if they'll pick up anything new online to address overall audio-related issues on your system. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• roshanamin
    Will check on the above links over the weekend and report back. Thanks!