I installed linux but then my bios is broke , it is only showing a underscore. aspire 7 a715-75g

Options
neopanther
neopanther Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited January 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I have an aspire 7 a715-75g . I want to install linux on it and I disabled ahci . but then after installation when i try to open bios it wont open . only an underscore is showing .

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    AHCI Sata mode must be enabled in UEFI bootstrapper. Press and hold power button till machine shuts off. Then turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Don't wait for the ACER logo to appear. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• neopanther

Tinkerer

Options
    First of all, Big thanks for the reply . 
    Oops , I actually enabled ahci mode from bios , a typo😖 sorry. 
    And the ssd isn't being recognised by the bios after changing to ahci from optane without raid 
  • neopanther

Tinkerer

Options
    The Linux installation worked (I think), I installed Pop OS . But I am not seeing a grub or something called like that to choose the OS when booting
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>And the ssd isn't being recognised by the bios after changing to ahci from optane without raid >>>

This is correct. The HDD will no longer boot Windows in ACHI mode or show up in the Boot tab. But it should still be detected in the BIOS Information tab.  If still detected in the  Information tab, you must change back to optane mode to disable the HDD's reliance on its external optane memory cache or you risk losing everything on the HDD. Google disable optane for instructions. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• neopanther

Tinkerer

edited January 2021
    Options
    The SSD isn't being recognised in the information tab (In 'optane without raid' sata mode , the model name of SSD and the size was showing  ). I think the Acer aspire 7 don't have optane and It has a 512 GB m.2 nvme SSD . 
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> The SSD isn't being recognised in the information tab (In 'optane without raid' sata mode , the model name of SSD and the size was showing>>>

What??? How can the SSD not be recognized in the Information but still show up in the Information tab????  I think you better post a phone photo of the BIOS Information and Boot tabs. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• neopanther

Tinkerer

edited January 2021
    Options

And I don't think the ahci drivers are installed automatically, which is everybody is saying will happen 

Edited the content to hide sensitive information
  • neopanther

Tinkerer

edited January 2021
    Options
    Ok , to not make you confused , this is  after removing Linux (which is Pop os ), by just deleting the partition it was installed on and according to everything I've read online that shouldn't be possible.when linux was installed I couldn't access the bios. It was just showing an underscore. After removing Linux everything is fine and I can access the bios. 

• JackE
    Options
    Sorry.  Not fine. The HDD is NOT detected by the BIOS. It is either not connected, not powered or has failed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• neopanther

Tinkerer

edited January 2021
    Options
    Well, then how is windows 10 working . Sometimes when I wake from sleep, bsod appears. Last one showed dpc watchdog violation error.
  • JackE
    Options
    Seems like the HDD connectors and/or cable ends are loose. Sometimes work. Sometimes don't. At the time you posted the Information photo above, looks like it  wasn't  connected.  At the time you posted the Boot photo, looks like it was connected. So you have an intermittent connection. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• neopanther

Tinkerer

Options
    I don't think that's the problem, because if I change the sata mode to 'optane without raid' and reboot(and also do the other things like going into safe mode etc), the bios recognises the SSD . I think it's an Acer bios issue or a driver issue
  • gelembjuk
    gelembjuk Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Did you finally found the reason of the problem?
    I have similar issue. SSD was not recognized too. After bios upgrade it is recognized on the first screen. But it is not listed on a list of boot devices. Also USB is not listed here too.
    Any idea?
    It is new laptop i bought and i wanted to install windows 10
  • JackE
    Options
    Doesn't matter what mode is selected. iRST, optane, AHCI, VMD. If the drive is not listed in the BIOS INFORMATION tab, it's not detected.

Jack E/NJ