How to have a display setting that works? Acer Swift 3.

amaethu
amaethu Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited January 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
Hello, I have a brand new Acer Swift 3. I cannot get a screen resolution to work. If i use the recommended 150% and 1920 x 1080, then I lose the bottom part of the screen. For instance I can't Send in Gmail, unless I use the downward arrow within the email. On Dropbox, the dropdown menu only shows the top 4 items and there is no way to get down to the one I want.

If I make the display 100 or 125% then I can see everything I need, but it's tiny. If I reduce the resolution, then I lose part of the screen again.As I say it's a new machine so there must be a standard setting that works - what is it? Or have I inadvertently changed another setting somewhere and need to get back to factory settings?

thank you!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,467 Trailblazer
    Can you take a picture of the screen for us (with your camera, not a print screen)? Also show it with the resolution set to 1920x1080 and scaling at 100%.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • amaethu

Tinkerer

here is the screen at 150%. The bottom half of the dropdown menu, lower right, is missing and there is no way to get further down.
  • amaethu

Tinkerer

and here it is at 100%, where you can see the whole dropdown menu but it's uncomfortably small.
  • billsey
    So that looks like an issue with the Dropbox website or Firefox, it should be showing you a slider on the right edge to see the full page. What happens when you take the browser out of full screen mode?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • amaethu

Tinkerer

I don't know what is meant by taking the browser out of full screen mode! I cannot see any way to get to any slider on the extreme right - is there one? There is a slider just by the dropdown menu but it doesn't work while the menu is showing. it could just be that I am finding it hard to adjust to a new computer as I find it hard to define the problem clearly. Away tomorrow, back on Friday. Thank you very much.
  • amaethu

Tinkerer

Further to this, the page isn't in full screen mode. Tabs are visible across the top. I tried F11 to get into full screen mode, but that key is now assigned to volume control - so I wonder how to get into full screen now? The problem with the bottom of the Dropbox menu has shown up in other programs too, including gmail, but not consistently. It's only in the Dropbox example that I have really been able to pin it down. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it just a matter of adjusting to a smaller screen?
  • billsey
    Click the icon at upper right that looks like two windows overlapping each other. That switches to window mode instead of maximized. I believe the issue is caused by a mix of the website not correctly giving page size info to the browser and the browser not realizing the page is taller than one screen. One or the other of those should get the browser to provide the scroll bars.