Is bios update a solution for heating problems a i5/1660ti acer predator Helios

Options
Depressedteen
Depressedteen Member Posts: 30 Troubleshooter
edited January 2021 in Predator Laptops
Hi guys I have a i5/1660ti acer predator Helios . Every time I play a game I have to make the fan speed max otherwise the cpu temps hit 90c . I have even underclocked with throttlestop . Since my laptop is out of warranty I’m scared to open it up . I read somewhere bios update solves all problems such as overheating . Should I do it . Thank you In advance for replying

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    Bios updates can help tune the hardware better, but they should be applied by windows update now, so you may find you are already on the latest version. In device manager I think you can see the bios version :)
  • DocJ
    DocJ Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Depending how old your laptop is- might have some bad dust buildup on the fans or in the vent.  May want to clean those out.  I know my 2020 Helios 300 runs hot which is what I am told is how they are designed- I usually hover around the high 70's to mid 80's C when playing a game. 
  • Depressedteen
    Options
    Leostat said:
    Bios updates can help tune the hardware better, but they should be applied by windows update now, so you may find you are already on the latest version. In device manager I think you can see the bios version :)
    Ok I’ll check this out 👍 but if the windows has not applied the update should I update the bios?
  • Depressedteen
    Options
    DocJ said:
    Depending how old your laptop is- might have some bad dust buildup on the fans or in the vent.  May want to clean those out.  I know my 2020 Helios 300 runs hot which is what I am told is how they are designed- I usually hover around the high 70's to mid 80's C when playing a game. 
    DocJ said:
    I’m out of my warranty so I’m scared to open my laptop😞
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    I personally don't usually do bios updates unless there is a good reason to based on the what's new text. Outside of windows update I just don't want to take the risk of bricking the machine should something go wrong! 

Saying that, I never had a problem with Acer's bios flashing exe, I've found it to be pretty stable. But it's your choice :)