DA220HQL (21.5" touchscreen "All-in-one") running Android

Options
Darien1980
Darien1980 Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi all,
This is an older device, thankfully we still have the manual. We have forgotten the "unlock pattern". It was never synced with a google account. On page 56 of the manual it says (after recommending unlocking with the google account): "If this option is not available please contact you local Acer service center." The typo of 'you' instead of 'your' is in the manual.

Because we can't get past the lock screen, we can do the factory reset. I've tried googling around for an answer. So far I haven't been able to find one. I think this is the first time I've seen a computer that didn't have a way to boot into some sort of safety section and do a factory reset! Does anyone know how to do it on this model? The only physical button is a power button. There are no other physical controls. Everything else is done through the touchscreen. It will not let us pull up any menus or options from the lockscreen (that we've figured out). 

Looking it up by SNID on Acer's site is strange, it finds the right device, but in the drop-downs only lists Windows operating systems? It is running Android 4.0 (at least we don't remember updating the Android OS).

Any suggestions? I'd hate to throw out a working device!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,049 Trailblazer
    Options
    That unfortunately is the case, the only remedy for a lost password is to send it to the service center where they have the special hardware needed to clear that. That's really the main reason they suggest using your Google account, so you can use their web interface to change passwords after forgetting one. I think the results of the 'Drivers' tab in their downloads section are because they provide Windows drivers to connect a Windows system to the Android developer mode. I believe you still have to be able to log in to use that mode for much of anything.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Darien1980
    Darien1980 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks Billsey. I looked at the Warranty information and it wanted to direct me to some third party for "out of warranty support pricing". Given the age of the unit, I imagine what they would charge would be halfway towards a newer (if much smaller) tablet style computer. Oh well. I'll see if anyone on ebay or craigslist wants it for parts, then scrap it if not.