Motherboard changed from M.2 to Nvme aspire 3 a315-41

sugawara
sugawara Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited January 2021 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks
Hey, I have a aspire 3 a315-41 model.
By default its motherboard have a m.2 port for ssd, empty nothing connected. But due to liquid damage about 3 months ago I got it changed in acer care center under warranty. Now they have replaced it with another motherboard of some other laptop. Screws are not in place as previous one. Main problem is ssd port is changed, its NVME type now not m.2 . I want to upgrade it but not sure if it will support nvme. Also there are no videos of my problem online. Please help. 

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,102 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    M.2 SSD slots on the motherboard look same for NVMe and SATA, their capability is depend on the chipset, when you insert a M.2 SATA SSD which has two groves, the corresponding pins in the slot to the second grove will stay dormant, you are saying that the motherboard is changed, so please post the motherboard model number which you can find next to Memory modules.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    M.2 defines the physical interface slot. NVME defines a protocol used over that slot, as does SATA. The Aspire A315-41 model have an M.2 slot, originally for SATA3 drives, but it sounds like they have upgraded that to supporting NVMe as well.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • sugawara

Tinkerer

Hi,
    M.2 SSD slots on the motherboard look same for NVMe and SATA, their capability is depend on the chipset, when you insert a M.2 SATA SSD which has two groves, the corresponding pins in the slot to the second grove will stay dormant, you are saying that the motherboard is changed, so please post the motherboard model number which you can find next to Memory modules.

Hey firstly sorry for the delay 
    Here is my motherboard 
    I have also tried using m.2 ssd in it earlier, but it was not detected by system and ssd got heat up quickly. I don't know if it's normal or not but same happens thrice 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,102 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    No problem, yes it's the original motherboard for A315-41, you can use a M.2 SATA SSD in the M.2 slot, unfortunately, you won't be able to use a M.2 NVMe SSD in this model.
    Acer Aspire A315-41 Performance Results - UserBenchmark
    Acer Aspire A315-41 Performance Results - UserBenchmark
  • sugawara

Tinkerer

• @billsey Is the a315-41 model supporting the nvme protocol? I am asking, why all users in the Portuguese community who tried to install a ssd nvme, the ssd was not recognized. 
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • sugawara

Tinkerer

@billsey Is the a315-41 model supporting the nvme protocol? I am asking, why all users in the Portuguese community who tried to install a ssd nvme, the ssd was not recognized. 
    Hey, i read in a Tom's hardware forum that after putting in ssd we have to install windows again using windows Installer. Neither Boot menu or disk management able to recognise it. I didn't try it myself but it's all there is to it. 
    Also in my earlier motherboard there is a 2 pin slot as in M.2 not 1 pin as in Nvme so it may not be possible to insert a nvme at first place.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Specs say SATA3 only in the M.2 slot.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.