Acer Swift 3 (SF314-52G-81PL) USB-C Port for External Display

Options
flexpandaa
flexpandaa Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hello,

I have the Acer Swift 3 (SF314-52G-81PL) and I want to ask if there is a way to connect this laptop to 2 external monitors? I am currently using the available HDMI port to connect to the first external monitor. I was wondering if there is a way the USB-C port can be used to connect to a second external monitor? I have bought adaptors (USB-C to HDMI adapter and USB-C to HDMI cable) but both did not project anything to the second monitor - it prompts the monitor to sleep immediately. 

If it can't be done, are there any alternatives that I could possibly do to connect my laptop to the second external monitor? 

Thank you. 

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,956 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Specs say it's a Type C USB3.1 Gen 1, without video. You have the HDMI port for an external monitor, to put a second one on you will need a dock. Look for USB docks with whichever port is easiest for your monitor to accept. There are a fair number of them in the $20-40 range.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Specs say it's a Type C USB3.1 Gen 1, without video. You have the HDMI port for an external monitor, to put a second one on you will need a dock. Look for USB docks with whichever port is easiest for your monitor to accept. There are a fair number of them in the $20-40 range.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AZRIE
    AZRIE Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    Maybe your Type C port not supporting video. Try buy HDMI Splitter Adapter. That might help...
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    Spliter would just duplicate the stream :) Im guessing op wants three seperate screens!

Any display-link screen or adapter would work, but usbc displayport wouldnt. You can get display link in dock form as Billsey says , or as adapters (https://www.displaylink.com/products/usb-adapters) or just staight displays (https://www.displaylink.com/products/usb-monitors) 
  • flexpandaa

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    Leostat said:
    Spliter would just duplicate the stream :) Im guessing op wants three seperate screens!

Any display-link screen or adapter would work, but usbc displayport wouldnt. You can get display link in dock form as Billsey says , or as adapters (https://www.displaylink.com/products/usb-adapters) or just staight displays (https://www.displaylink.com/products/usb-monitors) 

thank you for the responses! just to clarify further, if I were to purchase and use a USB-C hub instead of a USB-hub, would it still work? 
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited January 2021
    Options
    How do you mean sorry? If a straight USBC hub with built in display-link then yes (why did they choose display link rather than something more unique haha!)

Some docks / hubs will use USBC display port input, those won't work :)

I have had success with plugging my display link screen into a cheap usbc hub, although it's never graunteed to work (but should most of the time)
  • flexpandaa

Tinkerer

Options
    Leostat said:
    How do you mean sorry? If a straight USBC hub with built in display-link then yes (why did they choose display link rather than something more unique haha!)

Some docks / hubs will use USBC display port input, those won't work :)

I have had success with plugging my display link screen into a cheap usbc hub, although it's never graunteed to work (but should most of the time)
    ah i see! thank you (regarding USB-C hubs needing a built in display-link for it to work)!

appreciate it. 
  • billsey
    Options
    Sure, either a USB dock or USB-C dock. Most hubs only have more USB ports on them, you want one that also gives at least an HDMI or DP.