How To Upgrade Acer Aspire E14 E5-476G-38MH

Options
AkosiKillua
AkosiKillua Member Posts: 3 New User
I'm new in upgrading a laptop but I want to add ram and a m.2 ssd in my laptop. Acer Aspire E 14 E5-476G-38MH to be exact. How can I move the genuine Windows 10 Home into the ssd? Do I need to remove the battery before doing the procedure? Can I replace the stock ram and put 2 16GB ram?

Best Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    I'm new in upgrading a laptop but I want to add ram and a m.2 ssd in my laptop. Acer Aspire E 14 E5-476G-38MH to be exact. How can I move the genuine Windows 10 Home into the ssd? Do I need to remove the battery before doing the procedure? Can I replace the stock ram and put 2 16GB ram?
    You can use a guide like this (be aware that these are only guides and might not be accurate) of what you can upgrade your Aspire E 14 E5-476G to, also, your E5-476G does NOT take M.2 SSD's it only can accomodate a 2.5" SATA3-6GB/sec SSD, look at this guide here: Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | acer | aspire e5 | Aspire E5-476G | Crucial.com 

Also, I would first look at your standard memory specs with CPUID and look at section "SPD" and get your existing memory specs and only go one up in the specs of your memory. Don't put the overclocked memory as it will not work or you could have problems of your laptop slowing down e.g. if you want to match the standard memory then get another stick of memory to match or if you want different memory speed/timing then get a kit e.g. if you have a standard 1x 8GB DDR$-2400 then get another 1x 8GB DDR4-2400 for a total of 16GB or get a kit of 2x 16 DDR4-2666 max for a speedier and the max capacity memory for your E 14 E5-476G.

With cloning your existing operating system from your spinner HDD drive to an SSD, it depends which SSD drive you will buy and your budget? As all SATA3-6GB/sec 2.5" SSD's manufacturers (that you will fit) have their own recommended cloning software e.g. with Samsung (which I prefer) they have their own software called Data Migration which is easy to  use for cloning or their Samsung Magician SSD tuning software, which is very effective and also its advisable to enable the TRIM command in Win-10 which is designed for the purpose of keeping an SSD at its optimal performance throughout its lifespan. Also, with the other SSD manufacturers, I would use the Macrium Reflect v7 as a cloning software, which is the best not only for cloning but for making periodic backups (which you should be doing) of your software and also, you can get a free version of Macrium Reflect V7, so use that. 
  • Darkwind
    Darkwind Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Answer ✓
    Options
    No, I want to keep my hdd. I think my laptop has m.2 ssd slot, see picture for reference. And also do I need to remove the stock ram and buy 2 new ram? I will only use 2400 mhz ram because i saw that the speed is capped at 2133 mhz. Do I need to remove the battery and hdd during the procedure?

As someone with the exact model same, I can say that there is definitely an M.2 Slot besides the RAM Compartment. I stuck a 128GB NVME M.2 SSD there in that slot(for the lack of a 256GB SSD on sale) Your picture even shows it. No, You do not need to remove the battery or HDD to put the new RAM sticks or the NVME M.2 SSD. It just needs to be shut off. Just make sure not to touch the front and back face of the RAM and M.2 when installing since static could damage them. Yes, you need to remove the stock RAM since you wish to upgrade it to 32GB and there are only two RAM slots/SoDIMM. The stock RAM is 4GB right? So you need to remove it to make way for one of two 16GB you'll put.

I have an Acer E5-476G-38MH i3-7130u 2GB NVIDIA MX150, it has a 128GB NVME M.2 SSD, 1TB HDD and a total 12GB DDR4 RAM(4GB DDR4 2400Mhz A-Data[stock] + 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz Transcend) yeah the speed is capped at 2133 Mhz

Answers

• StevenGen
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    You can use a guide like this (be aware that these are only guides and might not be accurate) of what you can upgrade your Aspire E 14 E5-476G to, also, your E5-476G does NOT take M.2 SSD's it only can accomodate a 2.5" SATA3-6GB/sec SSD, look at this guide here: Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | acer | aspire e5 | Aspire E5-476G | Crucial.com 

Also, I would first look at your standard memory specs with CPUID and look at section "SPD" and get your existing memory specs and only go one up in the specs of your memory. Don't put the overclocked memory as it will not work or you could have problems of your laptop slowing down e.g. if you want to match the standard memory then get another stick of memory to match or if you want different memory speed/timing then get a kit e.g. if you have a standard 1x 8GB DDR$-2400 then get another 1x 8GB DDR4-2400 for a total of 16GB or get a kit of 2x 16 DDR4-2666 max for a speedier and the max capacity memory for your E 14 E5-476G.

With cloning your existing operating system from your spinner HDD drive to an SSD, it depends which SSD drive you will buy and your budget? As all SATA3-6GB/sec 2.5" SSD's manufacturers (that you will fit) have their own recommended cloning software e.g. with Samsung (which I prefer) they have their own software called Data Migration which is easy to  use for cloning or their Samsung Magician SSD tuning software, which is very effective and also its advisable to enable the TRIM command in Win-10 which is designed for the purpose of keeping an SSD at its optimal performance throughout its lifespan. Also, with the other SSD manufacturers, I would use the Macrium Reflect v7 as a cloning software, which is the best not only for cloning but for making periodic backups (which you should be doing) of your software and also, you can get a free version of Macrium Reflect V7, so use that. 
  • AkosiKillua
    Options
    Is cloning still a genuine windows?

• StevenGen
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Is cloning still a genuine windows?

Yes, cloning will copy the exact boot Win-10 drive that you have on your old drive, all you have to do to clone is use a USB 3.0 to SATA cable and plug the cable into your laptops 3.0 USB plug with the new SSD connected externally, then use the cloning software. After, remove the old boot HDD and replace it with the new cloned boot SSD and you will have the exact Win-10 or whatever operating system you have and it will boot exactly the same.  With the old HDD you can use it as an external drive for backing up, which I suggest that you do periodically and use Macrium Reflect V7 and also install their "Boot Menu option for system Image recovery" for whenever you need to recover a crashed system, which is a great option and unique to MR v7.

• AkosiKillua
    edited January 2021
    Options
    No, I want to keep my hdd. I think my laptop has m.2 ssd slot, see picture for reference. And also do I need to remove the stock ram and buy 2 new ram? I will only use 2400 mhz ram because i saw that the speed is capped at 2133 mhz. Do I need to remove the battery and hdd during the procedure?
  • Darkwind
    Darkwind Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Answer ✓
    Options

As someone with the exact model same, I can say that there is definitely an M.2 Slot besides the RAM Compartment. I stuck a 128GB NVME M.2 SSD there in that slot(for the lack of a 256GB SSD on sale) Your picture even shows it. No, You do not need to remove the battery or HDD to put the new RAM sticks or the NVME M.2 SSD. It just needs to be shut off. Just make sure not to touch the front and back face of the RAM and M.2 when installing since static could damage them. Yes, you need to remove the stock RAM since you wish to upgrade it to 32GB and there are only two RAM slots/SoDIMM. The stock RAM is 4GB right? So you need to remove it to make way for one of two 16GB you'll put.

I have an Acer E5-476G-38MH i3-7130u 2GB NVIDIA MX150, it has a 128GB NVME M.2 SSD, 1TB HDD and a total 12GB DDR4 RAM(4GB DDR4 2400Mhz A-Data[stock] + 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz Transcend) yeah the speed is capped at 2133 Mhz