[FEEDBACK] Predator Helios 500 - laptop status 2.5 years later

_albie_
_albie_ Member Posts: 44 Devotee WiFi Icon
After owning the Predator Helios 500 for 2.5 years, I want to share the following with Acer for future laptop improvements
- I am unable to play games because the laptop shuts down due to overheating. NOTE: PredatorSense has fans set to "Max" *and* I have a laptop cooler underneath.
- Bluetooth headphones (Sony WH-1000XM4) stutter/drop-out quite often - especially noticeable with a lot of network activity
- Power plug slides out with the slightest vibrations (this is online gameplay-suicide and really annoying generally)

Hopefully Acer takes this feedback to heart to make improvements in future gaming products - especially when it comes to cleaning the fans (which seems inevitable)

Answers

• Paxseko
    Paxseko Member Posts: 3 New User
    Thanks for posting this. I think the fan issues are the biggest problem these guys have from what I've seen, and is definitely something Acer should address in the future, especially as it comes to cleaning. Pulling of the back to clean is something we shouldn't have to do, I don't think.
  • _albie_
    _albie_ Member Posts: 44 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I did the cleaning recently; it cost about $100 in tools/supplies (i.e. ESD wrist strap, prying tools, screw driver, heat proof tape, thermal pads, ... etc) and took about 3 hours.
    The dust was really caked into the fan blades and cooling elements. I took the cooling assembly to the shower with dish washing liquid and a brush. It got mostly clean, but the brush wasn't able to get everything.
    It would be awesome if the heatpipe and fans could be pulled out like a tray, so the user could clean easily and often.

this is how much dust was accumulated