No Bootable Device spin 3

Options
DQ
DQ Member Posts: 6 New User
edited January 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
I am getting a no bootable device error. I have shut the computer off, pressed F2. F9 ETC... I am unable to swice to legacy as well. Under boot priority order, everything is blank as well. Date and time are correct. What can be wrong?

Answers

• DQ
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I have the spin 3 btw and the laptop was purchased in April so not even a year old. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,956 Trailblazer
    Options
    Which Spin 3 model do you have? It should be something like SP3xx-xxx-xxxx. Legacy mode wouldn't help, that hasn't been used since the Windows 7 days. We will likely ask you to boot from a Windows install flash drive, so we can use the diagnostics to figure out what's going wrong.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DQ
    Options
    billsey said:
    Which Spin 3 model do you have? It should be something like SP3xx-xxx-xxxx. Legacy mode wouldn't help, that hasn't been used since the Windows 7 days. We will likely ask you to boot from a Windows install flash drive, so we can use the diagnostics to figure out what's going wrong.
    It is a SP314-53N-53SH
  • DQ
    Options
    kia57kia said:
    helo there i own a older spin 3 original sp315-51 hhd 1 tarabyte the question is that you might be running a non hhd system for a ssd chip it,s not the same as old days where you can remove the hhd and pop it back in and it will boot up did you accidently damage or crack the ssd chip some how even a slight movement on the chips slot mount can be a culprit if so you need to see a actual tec 
    As far as i can tell, nothing is cracked. I opened it up and everything seems fine. (Damage wise). Never dropped it or anything. Also have an elevated stand for it 
  • billsey
    edited January 2021
    Options
    OK, IIRC yours has the 256GB SSD installed in the M.2 slot. You have opened it, so can visually inspect to make sure it hasn't popped out of the socket (not likely unless it was built without the retaining screw). We're going to have to take a look to see if the drive is not being recognized at all or if it's just corrupted. Create a Windows install flash drive using either Microsoft's Media Creation Tool or Rufus and the current ISO for Windows 10 64bit. Go into the BIOS and make sure that the F12 boot menu is enabled and that Secure Boot is disabled. Plug the flash drive in, reboot, hit the F12 key a bunch of times until it drops you into the boot menu and choose to boot from the USB. After it's up go to the second page and select Repair. Wander around until you see the option to use a Command Prompt. At the command prompt type "diskpart" and hit enter.
    From the diskpart menu use these commands:
    • list disk (note which number matches your 256GB SSD)
    • list vol
    • sel disk # (where # is the number you found in list disk)
    • list part
    • quit
    The capture all the results here. It's likely easiest to just take pictures with your phone... If the first command doesn't show the SSD report that as well.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DQ
    Options
    billsey said:
    OK, IIRC yours has the 256GB SSD installed in the M.2 slot. You have opened it, so can visually inspect to make sure it hasn't popped out of the socket (not likely unless it was built without the retaining screw). We're going to have to take a look to see if the drive is not being recognized at all or if it's just corrupted. Create a Windows install flash drive using either Microsoft's Media Creation Tool or Rufus and the current ISO for Windows 10 64bit. Go into the BIOS and make sure that the F12 boot menu is enabled and that Secure Boot is disabled. Plug the flash drive in, reboot, hit the F12 key a bunch of times until it drops you into the boot menu and choose to boot from the USB. After it's up go to the second page and select Repair. Wander around until you see the option to use a Command Prompt. At the command prompt type "diskpart" and hit enter.
    • list vol
    • list part
    • quit
    The capture all the results here. It's likely easiest to just take pictures with your phone... If the first command doesn't show the SSD report that as well.
    Is there a certain amount of time it takes for the boot? Been on the Acer screen (after the windows screen) for about 2 hours. (Wasnt sure if this is normal or there truly is something wrong)
  • DQ
    Options
    billsey said:
    • list vol
    • list part
    • quit
    So I left it on overnight with the flash drive and it hasn't made it past the Acer screen with the loading circle. Been well over 12 hours. 
  • billsey
    Options
    This is after telling it to boot from the USB flash drive? If you get the juggling balls you missed the window for the F12 boot menu.