Upgrades acer orion 3000

Options
Dragonz
Dragonz Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 2021 in Predator Desktops
I have the acer orion 3000 that has a Gtx 1060 6gb and a intel core i5-8400 CPU. I want to start streaming my games but it looks like my CPU is struggling to keep the frames up in my stream. Can I upgrade any of these two things?

Answers

• Frenzy4
    Frenzy4 Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Dragonz said:
    I have the acer orion 3000 that has a Gtx 1060 6gb and a intel core i5-8400 CPU. I want to start streaming my games but it looks like my CPU is struggling to keep the frames up in my stream. Can I upgrade any of these two things?

You can upgrade your CPU to any 8th or 9th gen chip that is non K. The best being the i9-9900 (non-k), but these are hard to find at this point for reasonable prices (used to be $290 at microcenter, but sold out). So the only options that are reasonable are i7-8th gen or i7-9th gen, the i7-9700f is easily available since it is newer, its $190 at microcenter right now. the 9700f is 8cores/8threads, the i7-8700 is 6cores/12threads.

Your 8400 will also sell for around ~$110 on ebay, so the upgrade could be less than $100 if you have a microcenter near you and go for the 9700f.
    the i9-9900 would be best though, it has 8cores/16 threads. Keep in mind you will want to get a new cpu cooler if you are using the stock one since it is horrible and any upgrade in CPU will result in higher temps.

the 1060 can be upgraded to whatever you find that fits. Measure the length after you open the case up. Keep in mind you have 500w and see what they recommend for the upgrade on the GPU.
  • Dragonz
    Options
    Frenzy4 said:
    Dragonz said:

You can upgrade your CPU to any 8th or 9th gen chip that is non K. The best being the i9-9900 (non-k), but these are hard to find at this point for reasonable prices (used to be $290 at microcenter, but sold out). So the only options that are reasonable are i7-8th gen or i7-9th gen, the i7-9700f is easily available since it is newer, its $190 at microcenter right now. the 9700f is 8cores/8threads, the i7-8700 is 6cores/12threads.

Your 8400 will also sell for around ~$110 on ebay, so the upgrade could be less than $100 if you have a microcenter near you and go for the 9700f.
    the i9-9900 would be best though, it has 8cores/16 threads. Keep in mind you will want to get a new cpu cooler if you are using the stock one since it is horrible and any upgrade in CPU will result in higher temps.

the 1060 can be upgraded to whatever you find that fits. Measure the length after you open the case up. Keep in mind you have 500w and see what they recommend for the upgrade on the GPU.
    Thanks for replying! Why should the CPU be a "non-k" and can I replace my power supply with a better one? Sorry to ask more questions I'm new to this.
  • Frenzy4
    Options
    Dragonz said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    Dragonz said:

Thanks for replying! Why should the CPU be a "non-k" and can I replace my power supply with a better one? Sorry to ask more questions I'm new to this.

because k chips require a z390 motherboard, since they are overclocking CPU's. you have a b360 or something like that

Yeah, and any ATX power supply will work. You need to do that if you get a powerful GPU only
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    As Frenzy4 said, you have a B360 chipset and can use any of the Coffee Lake-S CPUs. Your processor is a 65W package and you can drop any of the other CFL-S processors in that match that. If you want to put in something with a higher wattage you'll have to redo the cooling to take that into account.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Curtis_121
    Curtis_121 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Thank you sharing the information. It was really helpful as i wanted to upgrade the orion 3000 to latest version.

FaceTime
  • Dragonz
    Options
    Frenzy4 said:
    Dragonz said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    Dragonz said:

because k chips require a z390 motherboard, since they are overclocking CPU's. you have a b360 or something like that

Yeah, and any ATX power supply will work. You need to do that if you get a powerful GPU only
    So can I just replace the motherboard or is that not possible?
  • Frenzy4
    Options
    Dragonz said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    Dragonz said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    Dragonz said:

So can I just replace the motherboard or is that not possible?

You can. Any mini ITX motherboard will fit.