Is it possible to upgrade the CPU on my Acer Aspire 5750z-4835?

I have been upgrading parts of my laptop (e.g. my RAM and Hard Drive [which I replaced with an SSD]) and I was wondering if I could possibly upgrade my CPU to something such as the i7 3540M (laptop is currently running an Intel Pentium B940) since the 3540M has the same socket type (Socket G2) and TDP (35W). (P.S. cannot contact support because my laptop doesn't have a warranty and also because I would rather not pay money just to get a yes or no answer.)

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The processor is replaceable, but you can't make the jump to 3rd gen. Here's what Acer's specs say:
    To switch to a 3rd generation processor would require switching to a 3rd generation chipset, which means a different motherboard...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    The processor is replaceable, but you can't make the jump to 3rd gen. Here's what Acer's specs say:
    To switch to a 3rd generation processor would require switching to a 3rd generation chipset, which means a different motherboard...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • alegon
    alegon Member Posts: 2 New User
    Billsay, you said is replaceable but you did not say with what. Can you help with this answer? I also have a 5750z and would love to make it a little bit faster.
  • billsey
    As you can see from the snippets I posted, the baddest CPU that fits and just works is the i7-2820QM. That's quad core running at 2.3GHz. As the original poster mentioned, there are other upgrades that should be done first. Replacing the HDD with a SSD is by far the best performance tweak, and maxing the memory is next.