Can i replace motherboard Acer Aspire Ethos 8951G

Options
bobosmo
bobosmo Member Posts: 1 New User
Bought  Acer Aspire Ethos 8951G in 2011. Stopped working 1 year and 2 days later. Local shop said the motherboard was "shot". Nothing to be done. Can I find and install this motherboard?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,705 Trailblazer
    edited December 2020
    Options
    bobosmo said:
    Bought  Acer Aspire Ethos 8951G in 2011. Stopped working 1 year and 2 days later. Local shop said the motherboard was "shot". Nothing to be done. Can I find and install this motherboard?
    You can if you can get a replacement motherboard? Have a look at this site: Acer Aspire Ethos 8951G-9424 Replacement Laptop Parts (laptopinventory.com) as any other motherboard will not fit.

The Aspire Ethos 8951G has a Socket G2 i7-2630QM (which is quite a good CPU and can be replaced with a 2nd gen Intel CPU, see here: CPU-Upgrade: Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU (cpu-upgrade.com)) as it can be upgraded to a higher spec like the i7-2820QM for extra and more efficient processing. Its graphics the Nvidia GeForce GT555M is all good too (maybe with your new mobo, you will get a higher spec GPU?) it can also have a max of 8GB DDR3-1600MHz (2x 4GB) memory. I would also advise that you change the spinner drive to an SSD 2.5" SATA-6GB/sec and its WiFi only Atheros AR5B97 card to the WiFi/BT Atheros AR9462-AR5B22 (you can get all Atheros WiFi/BT drivers here: QUALCOMM / ATHEROS drivers for Microsoft Windows (Atheros的驅動程序) (ath-drivers.eu) and you can also turn its DVD slot(with a SATA 2.5" caddy) so you can use the existing drive as a slave, its up to you but, these are the sorts off things that you can do. 

If you do all the above upgrades then your Aspire Ethos 8951G will handle the current Win-10 version 20H2 OS build 19042.685 very well. All these mods are not a complicated job (if you are experienced in computer mods and tech). Good luck and hope this was helpful, as I've done this on many older laptops and they turned out to be a very reliable and consistent platform(s).  
  • JackGriffinTZ
    JackGriffinTZ Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I have 8951G-9600 Ethos, love it.  But I had to replace the fan and putting it back together the keyboard FPC connector cable retainer crumbled (from age?).  I need a new connector or find out the specs on the connector to replace the retainer part. 

Did you have any luck finding a motherboard?  I would pay handsomely for an equivalent laptop such as this.  I wish Acer still made this laptop.  10 years of service has been great.