edited December 2020 in Nitro Gaming

Laptop Specs

So I recently got a Nitro 7 (model AN715-51) with the below specs:
CPU: i7-9750H
RAM: 16 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA 1650 with 4 GB
Windows: 20H2

Problem Statement

This laptop is a cool one in terms of features and speed, but I soon realized it hit the thermal limits before I could even count to 10 when playing heavy games. Temps were hitting high 80s to 90, and with 1650 card having a thermal limit in upper 80s it was starting to throttle the game crazy.

Outcome (Post Tweaks)

So that's when I went ahead a applied a few settings that got it down to crazy low levels... yes, really crazy low levels. Like even when i am typing this, the temp of CPU and GPU are 36 and 33 respectively. And they tend to stay within 30s and lower 40s when doing light work like browsing, watching videos and such. I am posting some screenshots below.

1. My task manager CPU utilization for low loads

The empty boxes indicate cores that have been parked (as in sleeping cos they have no work to do).

2. System under low loads

3. After playing Cyberpunk 2077

4. After playing RUST
(first half until the dip was Cyberpunk 2077 and the second half is RUST)

Tweaks

Now, if you came this far, and wish to apply the same tweaks as I did and see if this helps you keep your system cool, let me list them out here.

Windows Optimization

What I did may not suit you, so not going into details here. Also note that, when idle, my CPU usage barely hits 3%. Infact below is the screenshot from my task manager the whole of the time I was typing this out (including capturing screenshots and such).

Acer Optimized power plan

This would be under the name Acer under power plans. I only updated the sleep and hibernate times to suit me than the default ones that were way too long (for me).

Park Control

Installed Park Control and updated it as below for the Acer Optimized power plan. This allows the unused cores to go to sleep effectively reducing the temperatures. Once set, program can be closed completely and the settings will still persist.

Throttle Stop

Loaded Throttle Stop from my Predator and tweaked it slightly.
There are only two profiles - Performance and Battery. Battery is optimized to stretch battery, so do not expect to do heavy hitting there and expect performance. Switch to Performance profile when on battery if you need some heavy hitting work to be done.
Screenshots below are for Performance only - since that's what people mostly seek.

Karma...
LIKE - if helpful
ACCEPT - if helped resolve
---------
Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options

I know I limited the max speed of processor to 3.8 (instead of its max 4.5). Unless someone is doing some really intensive work, I do not see a need to bump this to higher than that. I am able to do all my heavy work and play nice hard hitting games with ease with these settings. And this keeps my laptop cool with max temps under mid 70s.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Idle/low utilization system graphs... my fans have been off the last 30 or so minutes :-)

Playing RUST - highlighted in yellow - capped at 60 FPS with vsync.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I will type here, to keep up with this topic on performance and temperatures.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • PoKwong
    PoKwong Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi there,
    I got AN715-51-70ED
    CPU i7-9750H
    RAM 16GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA 1650 with 4GB

Before I follow your instructions, may I ask a question?
    when we reduce the temperature of the heat, will it help to reduce the noise of the fan?
    The fan had noise too.

Can you give me some advice please?
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,319 Pathfinder
    Options
    @PoKwong
    Yes, Low temperatures=lower fans speed
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566