Regarding a folder in AppData.

Hostile
Hostile Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2023 in Windows 10
Hello!

This is my first post on here, and my question is quite simple. I've encountered a strange folder Acer (:C)>Users>username>>AppData>Local>OEM>Hermes. This is the folder I'm talking about, there isn't much information I can gather online regarding this folder, though I did some searching and found out hermes was a ransomware, though none of the symptoms of the ransomware was present. I also found someone having the same folder inside yet another acer device so I speculated that this is a part of acer laptops and/or devices. I deleted the folder out of fear of the ransomware (I'm quite dumb and have a little trauma with computer viruses). And for the actual question, is this a normal folder and what does it do? If it's important, how do I get it back?

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    It is a ransomware folder. It will be a big problem if that folder comeback suddenly.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • SpookyMidget
    SpookyMidget Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have found the same folder. I have scanned it with my antivirus software which comes back as nothing malicious. How do I get rid of the virus? Just deleting the folder does not work.
  • Batareika007
    Batareika007 Member Posts: 106 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

try to scan it via "Malwarebytes"

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Hostile said:
    Hello!

This is my first post on here, and my question is quite simple. I've encountered a strange folder Acer (:C)>Users>username>>AppData>Local>OEM>Hermes. This is the folder I'm talking about, there isn't much information I can gather online regarding this folder, though I did some searching and found out hermes was a ransomware, though none of the symptoms of the ransomware was present. I also found someone having the same folder inside yet another acer device so I speculated that this is a part of acer laptops and/or devices. I deleted the folder out of fear of the ransomware (I'm quite dumb and have a little trauma with computer viruses). And for the actual question, is this a normal folder and what does it do? If it's important, how do I get it back?
    Back up all your essential data, and do a clean format and reinstall windows clean.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
This discussion has been closed.