Please help me to boot aspire 5600UI from USB Drive

NiceNiece
NiceNiece Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi again, I’m trying to help my 85-year-old aunt to boot her aspire 5600UI from The recovery file that I saved to a USB.   I need as explicit and accurate instructions  as possible to get her to BIOS and disable the Secure Boot — and then install windows from the USB. Thanks in advance for your help!

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OK, though we might be guessing a little when it comes to the actual restore. Is she still running Windows 8 or has she upgraded to Windows 10?
    You get into the BIOS with the Del key during POST, if you are too slow just restart and try again. In the BIOS you want to go to the Boot Options Menu, then do a couple of things, set Boot Menu to enabled and choose Removable Device Priority to be higher than Hard Disk. The BIOS on these is old enough I don't think it need a Secure Boot setting to be disabled.
    Once you have booted from the Recovery image you can do a restore for her, or you can boot from a Windows Install and do a new install. Be aware that a new install will lose all her data, so make sure there's a backup first.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    OK, though we might be guessing a little when it comes to the actual restore. Is she still running Windows 8 or has she upgraded to Windows 10?
    You get into the BIOS with the Del key during POST, if you are too slow just restart and try again. In the BIOS you want to go to the Boot Options Menu, then do a couple of things, set Boot Menu to enabled and choose Removable Device Priority to be higher than Hard Disk. The BIOS on these is old enough I don't think it need a Secure Boot setting to be disabled.
    Once you have booted from the Recovery image you can do a restore for her, or you can boot from a Windows Install and do a new install. Be aware that a new install will lose all her data, so make sure there's a backup first.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • NiceNiece

Tinkerer

thank you, thank you! She had windows 8.1 installed and I purchased a windows 10 restore key from Microsoft because they told me they are no longer offering windows 8 recovery,  so I’m hoping that will work? (she has no data saved on the computer she only uses it for web browsing and email)
  • billsey
    Yeah, that should work fine. You may have to download some drivers from the Acer support site, but as long as it gets the network drivers up you can do that from her system.
  • NiceNiece

Tinkerer

Billsey, thanks so much for your help, but I am running into more trouble and I’m wondering if you have any other ideas: with a USB inserted, we have tried every single combination we can think of to try to get into BIOS menu, but it keeps Booting up to the windows login screen — and you’ll recall that we don’t have her Windows password — we have tried clicking repeatedly at startup on Del, F2, FN+Del, we’ve even tried Cyril-+Alt+Del and the F2 abd Fn+F2, every single combination possible.  I have read on one of the Acer support site that some computers don’t have a way to get into bias and a call technical support, which I have, but since it is out of warranty, they say that I have to pay $130 and they cannot guarantee that they will get me into the BIOS menu.  I already paid $130 for the windows 10 recovery, I don’t want to invest any more unnecessarily. Should I just give up and get her a new computer?
  • NiceNiece

Tinkerer

Following up on what I wrote in my comment above, here is the content of the support document I found: “ If the boot menu feature is not available in the BIOS setup menu, then the option is not available on your system.
    Document ID: 6814 
    Last Updated: 02/16/2018 03:13 AM ”
    1. Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
    2. Press the right arrow key to select Main.
    3. Use the arrow keys to navigate to F12 Boot Menu, and press ENTER.
    4. Select Enabled, and press ENTER.
    5. Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.

MORE INFORMATION

If the boot menu feature is not available in the BIOS setup menu, then the option is not available on your system.

Document ID: 6814 
    Last Updated: 02/16/2018 03:13 AM ”
  • billsey
    On the Aspire 5600U you enter the BIOS with the Del key. Start clicking it *before* the splash screen shows up and keep clicking until the menu shows. There can be a really small window for getting it when fast boot is enabled.