Is it safe to expand the memory on my Predator desktop? PO3-600

Options
average6466
average6466 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
Hello Acer Community, I own a Predator PO3-600 and was curious about the safety of adding more ram to the system. My model has an i7-9700K, RTX 2080, and currently 16 gigs at 2666hz for memory, all of this under a 500W power supply. Would it be a risky decision to add another 16 gigs, or remove the current sticks for 4 sticks at a higher speed, say 3200hz, for 32 gigs? My main concern is will the extra ram cause any issues with the power supply?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,921 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The extra ram doesn't cause any issues with the power, the design is set for the 500W supply to be enough even if you've maxed the memory and added drives to fill all their slots too. The only time you need extra power is typically when upgrading the GPU, because a lot of the modern GPUs take more power than the slot provides, so they use extra wires from the PSU to give them the extra power.
    The chipset supports 2400 and 2666 memory, faster will run at the slower speed if it runs at all. You can bump up to a maximum of 64GB, but 2666 is the best choice, no need to spend extra in order to get something that will still run at the same speed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,921 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The extra ram doesn't cause any issues with the power, the design is set for the 500W supply to be enough even if you've maxed the memory and added drives to fill all their slots too. The only time you need extra power is typically when upgrading the GPU, because a lot of the modern GPUs take more power than the slot provides, so they use extra wires from the PSU to give them the extra power.
    The chipset supports 2400 and 2666 memory, faster will run at the slower speed if it runs at all. You can bump up to a maximum of 64GB, but 2666 is the best choice, no need to spend extra in order to get something that will still run at the same speed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.