How to use AHCI with two SSDs Predator Helios 300

Options
raulbsc
raulbsc Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I have a Predator Helios 300, it comes with 256GB SSD (nvme) and  2TB HD. I need another 256GB for Ubuntu and Linux dual boot so bought another 256GB nvme SSD. After installing the new SSD if I use AHCI the laptop won't boot, I can't even enter the BIOS, switching back to RST it works normally. The problem is that Ubuntu can't be installed with RST. Does anyone knows a way to have the two nvme SSDs with AHCI?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• raulbsc

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    I found out that the laptop does not support two PCIe Gen3 x4 nvme SSDs at the same time with AHCI. I'll see if I can return the new one or change for an PCIe Gen3 x2 or use another Linux distro that installs in RST. But thanks for your time.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,618 Trailblazer
    Options
    Follow the recommendations in this link. If the SATA irst mode is raided, that's another complication. Better back up your personal files. Since drives are so cheap nowadays, I'd probably pull the factory drives out for safe keeping if it were mine. Start fresh with new drives dual booting with plain vanilla AHCI mode. IRST is a pain.  :/   Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• raulbsc

Tinkerer

Options
    This didn't help. This steps would work if I had only one SSD, I have done it before and it works, the problem is that when I switch to AHCI with two SSDs the system will not boot and I can't enter BIOS.
  • JackE
    Options
    Are they raided? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• raulbsc

Tinkerer

Options
    They are not.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> it comes with 256GB SSD (nvme) and  2TB HD.>>>

It might help to sort things out if the new SSD was removed. Go to the elevated command prompt. Enter diskpart. What do 'list disk' and 'list volume' show? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• raulbsc

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    I found out that the laptop does not support two PCIe Gen3 x4 nvme SSDs at the same time with AHCI. I'll see if I can return the new one or change for an PCIe Gen3 x2 or use another Linux distro that installs in RST. But thanks for your time.
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry. Shouldn't matter though nvmes can be finicky relative to plain vanilla SATA3 m.2s. The nvme should be backward compatible with a SATA3-only m.2 socket or a 2 link width m.2 socket. It still might help to remove the new m.2 card to sort the IRST-to-AHCI things out with diskpart and diskmgmt.msc. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• raulbsc

Tinkerer

Options
    Well, if you say so I can try. Here are the output for 'list disk' and 'list volume' that you asked.

• JackE
    Options
    Yes but the new card is still connected. I fear where this is heading is that Win10 will have to be re-installed in AHCI mode.  AFAIK, there still are no reliable workarounds or ways for Linux distros to handle iRST mode.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• raulbsc

Tinkerer

edited December 2020
    Options
    When I first installed the new SSD Windows was already installed in AHCI mode. I can format it again, not a problem, but what should I do different this time?
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>When I first installed the new SSD Windows was already installed in AHCI mode. >>>

Wait!!! If the two older drives were already booting in AHCI mode, then it should still booted in AHCI mode after installing the new third SSD. It should've showed up in diskmgmt.msc and diskpart.  Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• raulbsc

Tinkerer

Options
    That's the problem, it doesn't boot.
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry I completely misunderstood. I thought it was irst mode before installing the new SSD. So it boots fine in AHCI without the new SSD? As an aside, I don't believe the machine can directly boot Linux from the other m.2 socket anyway (HDD2) only from the 2.5" (HDD0) and the m.2 (HDD1).  So yes I agree something is amiss with the new SSD but still don't think it's due to being an nvme in a sata3-only socket. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ