Why my Acer Aspire A515-51 only remains turned on if I continuously keep pressing some key?

Options
douglas4dev
douglas4dev Member Posts: 6 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Why my Acer Aspire A515-51 only remains turned on if I continuously keep pressing some key?
My battery, charger, HDD, SO, etc is everything works.
But my note only remains turned on if I continuously keep pressing some key.
The power on key neither turn on the note.
What can I do to fix it?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,731 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    A a spring-loaded safety interlock switch is probably not fully depressed by the base cover to keep power to the mainboard. Try to tighten screws on  the base cover to press harder against this switch. If it still doesn't work properly, you must tape a spacer to the inside of the base cover so it pushes harder again the safety switch to keep the switch in the on position. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    Press and hold power button till notebook turns off. Remove charger. Press paperclip into battery reset pinhole on bottom for 30 seconds. Plug charger back in. Try to turn laptop on with power button. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• douglas4dev
    Options
    Thank you very much for your response Jack.
    Well, I had tried some other actions in advance, for example:
    1 - I removed completely the battery and the symptoms are exactly same.
    2 - I entered in setup options and I've applied BIOS defaults and nothing has changed in same behavior. After I pressed F10 the Note simply turns off, but persist my last choice on setup.

What would be yet?
    Thanks

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    A a spring-loaded safety interlock switch is probably not fully depressed by the base cover to keep power to the mainboard. Try to tighten screws on  the base cover to press harder against this switch. If it still doesn't work properly, you must tape a spacer to the inside of the base cover so it pushes harder again the safety switch to keep the switch in the on position. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• douglas4dev
    Options
    Hi there Jack,
    I've followed your tip by the schematic, but seems that this mother board version doesn't use that switch any more, in other side I've found the SWG2 switch for EC reset.

Do you have some more tips?
    Thank you very much again

• JackE
    Options
    Make sure the spring-loaded battery reset switch SWG2 is in the full up position and is not being accidentally pressed down by anything when the base cover is installed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• douglas4dev
    Options
    Ok, it was verified, the SWG2 wasn't pressed down while the cover had been assembled, but unfortunately the same behavior continuous.

• douglas4dev
    Options
    Maybe some electrical static charge problem?
  • JackE
    Options
    The SWG2 reset switch must NOT be pressed down when the cover is installed. It must remain in the full up position when the cover is installed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• douglas4dev
    Options
    Hi Jack,
    Have you some other idea?
    I can't keep my note turned on, no matter if I use the battery connected or not.
    If I release any key, the note turns off in 4/5 seconds.
  • JackE
    Options
    The troubleshooting flowchart suggests that the keyboard is the likely problem since you don't have the SWG1 safety switch and the SWG2 reset switch seems to be functioning OK,  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ