Best way to upgrade predator g3-605 in Dec 2020?

pjtham
pjtham Member Posts: 2 New User
Hey everyone!

I'd like to upgrade by predator g3-605, which now has GTX 770 2GB only. It is okay with GTA V, but I wanted to play Watchdogs Legion or Cyberpunk.

Would either of: 
- GTX 1070
- GTX 1080
- RTX 2060 

work with my machine?

What would you recommend to buy as of December 2020?

Thanks in advance!
pjtham

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I believe that all the Predator G3-605 models came originally with Windows 8.1, so they have a UEFI boot environment. That means you should be able to put any of those cards in without an issue, as long as your power supply is good enough. Yours came with either a 300W or 500W supply, and the RTX 2060 wants a 500W PSU, as does both the 1070 and 1080.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    I believe that all the Predator G3-605 models came originally with Windows 8.1, so they have a UEFI boot environment. That means you should be able to put any of those cards in without an issue, as long as your power supply is good enough. Yours came with either a 300W or 500W supply, and the RTX 2060 wants a 500W PSU, as does both the 1070 and 1080.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • pjtham
    pjtham Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks a lot! Would you have any advice which card would be reasonable to get to get the best bang for the buck? Seems like I may have more options... (can be something I didn't list originally) 
  • billsey
    Have you already upgraded to a SSD instead of the HDD? If not that should be the first step. The GPU should be next, and the prices on the secondary market should be falling swiftly for the 2060 since the 30xx models are out. Second choice would be the 1080...
  • DavidRConnell
    DavidRConnell Member Posts: 3 New User
    Can I add 64GB DDR4 ram to my G3 605 2016
  • billsey
    No, 32GB max using four 8GB DIMMs.