erratic wireless mouse and keyboard

camout
camout Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
New desktop. Wireless mouse and keyboard are erratic. keyboard stops working at irregular intervals and mouse/cursor often freezes for a few seconds.  New batteries installed and both re-paired to the dongle. Tried a new Logitech keyboard/mouse with exactly the same effect.  Guess it's a faulty driver.  Any ideas before I return the machine for a refund?

Best Answer

• daydone
    daydone Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    It's common nowadays for wireless mouse and keyboard. I've experienced erratic cursor behavior as I move the mouse. The cursor jumps or sometimes doesn't react at all.
    1. Problem:- It is due to the receiver being too close to the USB port. It picks up electronic noise generated by the computer's parts, interfering with the signals passing from the mouse. In addition, I found the problem specific to Logitech's Unifying receiver, which handles up to six devices. I suspect that there is just too much tiny electronics crammed  into the tiny chunk of plastic and metal.
    2. Its Solution:- The solution is to install an extender, a male-female USB cord. It moves the receiver away from the computer. Even a couple of inches helps, but in severe cases, you may need to use a longer cord.

Answers

• daydone
    daydone Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    It's common nowadays for wireless mouse and keyboard. I've experienced erratic cursor behavior as I move the mouse. The cursor jumps or sometimes doesn't react at all.
    1. Problem:- It is due to the receiver being too close to the USB port. It picks up electronic noise generated by the computer's parts, interfering with the signals passing from the mouse. In addition, I found the problem specific to Logitech's Unifying receiver, which handles up to six devices. I suspect that there is just too much tiny electronics crammed  into the tiny chunk of plastic and metal.
    2. Its Solution:- The solution is to install an extender, a male-female USB cord. It moves the receiver away from the computer. Even a couple of inches helps, but in severe cases, you may need to use a longer cord.
  • camout
    camout Member Posts: 4 New User
    I was skeptical of the idea as I thought anyone who designed a wireless dongle would have tried it on the PC they manufactured; wrong again. However it worked, both for the Logitech keyboard/mouse I had bought and the original Acer keyboard/mouse both suffering the same problem.  Thanks for the help.