Does the 1.08 BIOS run cooler than 1.07 BIOS? PH315-53

Options
Eclipse
Eclipse Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2020 in Predator Laptops
Just as the title says, I want to know if the 1.08 BIOS runs cooler than 1.07.

My laptop model is the Acer Predator Helios 300 (2020) i7-10750H (2.6 GHz, max turbo 5 GHz), RTX 2060 (6GB), 16GB RAM (DDR4). It came with the 1.07 BIOS pre-installed.

Combing through the forums here are the things I found out about the 1.07 BIOS:
- Undervolting options are locked
- Charging makes the CPU run hotter (my laptop suffers from this)
- There's an added 50mV voltage when charging (I don't know if this is true or not, I saw 3 different people mention this)

I don't know if my laptop can downgrade to 1.06 and I don't really want to risk it since I heard downgrading has a greater risk.

I tried changing the power plan to 99%, this affected consistency in FPS but it lets my laptop run a lot cooler.

So I'm wondering if I should update to BIOS 1.08 released on 2020/12/16 on the support page.

Answers

• Eclipse
    Options
    my laptop is the PH315-53 model to be more specific.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Eclipse said:
    BIOS updates should only be done for their specific titled fixes e.g. your PH315-53 bios like v1.08 fixes "1.Update Insyde solution CVE-2020-0570 and CVE-2020-10713 for 20H2 and 2.Update Microcode m20a0652_000000e2. 3. Update panel brightness table. and with bios update v1.07 it fixes "1.Improve some i7 CPU compatibility issue". Does any of these bios fixes and/or descriptions state "Does the 1.08 BIOS run cooler than 1.07 BIOS?" it does NOT, so they don't.

Temps have nothing to do with bios, check your fans, cpu/gpu paste and settings for your specific gpu or repaste your cpu/gpu (with a high grade paste like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme) and clean your fans appropriately and/or use a tablet cooler to keep your PH315-53 laptop cool as Acer does warn you that "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution" and is not done for anything else than fixing and updating specific bios titled fix's.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    Eclipse said:
    BIOS updates should only be done for their specific titled fixes e.g. your PH315-53 bios like v1.08 fixes "1.Update Insyde solution CVE-2020-0570 and CVE-2020-10713 for 20H2 and 2.Update Microcode m20a0652_000000e2. 3. Update panel brightness table. and with bios update v1.07 it fixes "1.Improve some i7 CPU compatibility issue". Does any of these bios fixes and/or descriptions state "Does the 1.08 BIOS run cooler than 1.07 BIOS?" it does NOT, so they don't.

Temps have nothing to do with bios, check your fans, cpu/gpu paste and settings for your specific gpu or repaste your cpu/gpu (with a high grade paste like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme) and clean your fans appropriately and/or use a tablet cooler to keep your PH315-53 laptop cool as Acer does warn you that "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution" and is not done for anything else than fixing and updating specific bios titled fix's.

Does bios 1.07 say that they were gonna lock undervolting options?

No it didn't, this is why I'm asking the question.

I have cleaned my fans and repasted the CPU/GPU, there was no change in temprature.

I did play with the settings, while it does run cooler when I set the power plan to 99% core power, it also gave me inconsistent fps when playing games.

And I did say that I know that flashing a bios is risky.

Also I bought the laptop less than 7 days ago.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Eclipse said:
    StevenGen said:
    Eclipse said:

Does bios 1.07 say that they were gonna lock undervolting options?

No it didn't, this is why I'm asking the question.

I have cleaned my fans and repasted the CPU/GPU, there was no change in temprature.

I did play with the settings, while it does run cooler when I set the power plan to 99% core power, it also gave me inconsistent fps when playing games.

And I did say that I know that flashing a bios is risky.

Also I bought the laptop less than 7 days ago.

If it doesn't say it in the bios then it aint happening if you flash to a newer bios, also, if you ask Acer they will not recommend for you to update the bios because your laptop overheats. Undervolting is a compromise and whenever you do it, it does affect performance, can't have both. That is why increasing your cooling flow more efficiently is a better option with any computer especially a laptop that can not be as easily cooled as a desktop with water cooling, bigger fans etc.

My advice to you is this, as your laptop is only 7 day old and if this laptop overheats or gives you problems? Then take it back to where you bought it from or to Acer and tell them about your problem(s) don't touch it as your warranty will be void. Good luck.
  • EpicBunty
    EpicBunty Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    I think youre wrong on many many points undervolting does not affect performance it only sends lesser voltage/heat through the components. It can only affect stability and if ur undervolt is not stable then you just have not undervolted properly.
    My advice to op- get monitoring apps installed like hwinfo. Also get throttlestop, msi AB. you can monitor and verify these things for yourself, do that before you take any action. And dont try to fix anything if theres no problem. If your laptop runs cool and doesnt throttle or drop frames then youre good!!
  • Eclipse
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Yeah I'm pretty new to all of this.

EpicBunty said:
    I think youre wrong on many many points undervolting does not affect performance it only sends lesser voltage/heat through the components. It can only affect stability and if ur undervolt is not stable then you just have not undervolted properly.
    My advice to op- get monitoring apps installed like hwinfo. Also get throttlestop, msi AB. you can monitor and verify these things for yourself, do that before you take any action. And dont try to fix anything if theres no problem. If your laptop runs cool and doesnt throttle or drop frames then youre good!!
    Thing is, I can't undervolt because BIOS 1.07 locks any undervolting options.

Playing with the power settings lowers the voltage and CPU clockspeed significantly.

Predator sense tells me that at 100%, the CPU has 1.2 to 1.3 volts running at 4 - 5 GHz, while at 99%, the CPU clocks at 2.4 GHz has 0.8 volts (this has inconsistent FPS)

At 1.2 Volts my laptop runs at 80 - 90 degrees celcius and peaking at 97 degrees, while at 0.8 Volts, my laptop runs at 60 - 70 degrees peaking at around 75 degrees.

I was looking for undervolting options because I want a middle ground.

Sorry if I sound stupid.

Thank you all for being patient.

Edit: This is what I meant by the settings.
  • EpicBunty
    EpicBunty Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hmm now whether u should upgrade to 1.08 or downgrade to 1.06 is a call you will have to make... I would say go to 1.08 and if that doesnt resolve it then downgrade. Although it can be a risky process (I  personally have done updates without a hitch but while taking basic precautions like doing on a full charge)
    Also, theres a thread on this forum where people have successfully downgraded and solved this issue on this laptop. Running such a powerful processor at sub optimal speeds sounds like a real bummer though. It should definitely be comfortably able to run at its full rated speeds. Imo you should turn the max processor state to 100. Through throttlestop there are multiple methods of curbing the heat. One is setting up speed shift at a good number (affects performance though so i leave mine at 0), another is slightly lowering turbo values(this will drop your max clock a bit but you can at least get the heat under control), another is lowering your turbo power limits (this will power throttle your cpu although lesser heat )
    Despite all that, im sorry to say that neither of those solutions are worth it imo lol. Do the undervolt, and later on once you repaste your temps will be amazing. The bios thing is upto you to research and decide (whether .08 even unlocks undervolting) and your risks to take. I think there are some safe ways to update the bios too not sure.

Lastly a couple things- on throttlestop you can see individual core temps. If under load (use ts bench) the core temps are inconsistent meaning one core jumping too high while the others are low it means that the thermal paste has not been applied properly. In this case, contact acer and tell them about all these issues (heating and undervolting),they may repaste for you  might have to send ur laptop in but better than voiding warranty or bricking ur laptop!
    Second, dont settle for anything less than what you paid for!!!
    And do keep us updated!
    Good luck 
  • SupaHotBoy
    SupaHotBoy Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    right now i'm on 1.08 and i didn't notice any improvment in terms of temp.
    but i found that the best solution is disabling turbo boost with throttlestop and don't change any setting in power savin.
    when you use the power setting method basically the cpu will get limited to 2.38 GHz but disabling just the turbo boost the cpu will run the maximum base clock, 2.58 GHz and no throttleing at all.
    for example: apex legends without any changes the game run at 144 FPS maximux detail. throttle stop method average 130 FPS, power saving method 110 FPS.
    cyberpunk 2077 37 FPS with maximum detials + ray tracing. i personally did't see any difference between stock cpu setting and throttlestop method.
  • iyzer
    iyzer Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    1.07 overvolts the CPU by 0.050mv and 1.08 removes the overvolt and is set to 0.00mv.
    There is now a way that you can undervolt 1.07 and 1.08 and it works.
  • matrix_reloaded
    matrix_reloaded Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    iyzer said:
    1.07 overvolts the CPU by 0.050mv and 1.08 removes the overvolt and is set to 0.00mv.
    There is now a way that you can undervolt 1.07 and 1.08 and it works.
    hello, could you please let us know what is the way to undervolt with 1.07 and 1.8 bios?