Acer Predator Orion 3000 (PO3-620) - a few questions (PSU, GPU, Bios ... )

Hypothetix
Hypothetix Member Posts: 2 New User
Hello all,

I'm about to buy an Acer Predator Orion 3000 (PO3-620) from an online store for which I still have some gift certificates.

The computer has the following specifications:
Intel®Core™i7-10700F 2.9 GHz (turbo boost up to 4.8 GHz)
16 GB DDR4 RAM working memory
Storage: 1024 GB SSD
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3070
1 x HDMI, 3 x DP, 2 x USB 2.0, 6 x USB 3.2

I have a few questions about this since it's my first Acer PC.

1. first, the computer seems to have a 500 watt power supply. However, it says everywhere that you should plan on 650 watts for the RTX 3070. I think that due to a missing drive etc. this is all still within reason, but my question: Is it possible to replace the PSU without any problems? I have read here in the forum  contradictory statements.

2. what about future upgrade options? The Orion 3000 seems to be relatively small. Do you think that you can install new graphics cards without problems in a few years? I am not the expert.  Maybe someone can give me an estimate?

3. how reliable is Acer with updates for BIOS etc.?  Do you think that I can install a new CPU without problems in a few years? So any 1200 socket CPU is possible?

Last one: Do you think this PC is all in all a good choice? I just want to have a good Gaming PC which does not cost more than 1500 Euro and where  i do not need to make to much adjustments in the next years but with the possibility to upgrade in a few years :D

Thank you

Greetings

Hypothetix

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    The PO3-620 uses one of the new ATX12VO power supplies that were introduced this year, and the third party supply makers are not going very fast in releasing replacements with higher capacity. So that might be an issue now, but is very likely to be dealt with in the future as the secondary market for these supplies grows. Your system will have a 10th gen chipset, so you may be limited to other 10th gen CPUs for upgrades. That is the case with almost every generation Intel ships. Same thing with memory, you can bump it up in size but the speeds supported are set by the chipset. With the 1TB SSD yours comes with you likely won't need to deal with upgrades any time soon. Yours will be NVMe 4 lane, so pretty much at the peak for performance right now. Who knows where technology will be taking us over the next few years, they may do an expanded M.2 (or M.3?) spec with 8 lanes and that would re-double the speed...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Hypothetix
    Hypothetix Member Posts: 2 New User
    Sounds good, thank billsey. I just wondering why there is only a 500watts PSU installed, but the Nvidia says the RTX should have a 650watts?! Just want to make sure that i don't will face any problems when i plug in a few usb devices and play a  performance hungry game...
  • billsey
    NVIDIA when coming up with those specs assumes nothing about what else is in the system, so they leave more margin than an OEM does when designing a system. 500W is good to go for the system as Acer builds it, and provides enough head room for upgrades such as a memory bump or an additional drive. If you want to add something to the system with a more significant power draw then is when you look for a bigger supply. So when you decide to put the 3090 in along with a bigger CPU cooler and two case fans, budget for a supply as well. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PrskMate
    PrskMate Member Posts: 69 Devotee WiFi Icon
    billsey said:
    The PO3-620 uses one of the new ATX12VO power supplies that were introduced this year, and the third party supply makers are not going very fast in releasing replacements with higher capacity. So that might be an issue now, but is very likely to be dealt with in the future as the secondary market for these supplies grows. Your system will have a 10th gen chipset, so you may be limited to other 10th gen CPUs for upgrades. That is the case with almost every generation Intel ships. Same thing with memory, you can bump it up in size but the speeds supported are set by the chipset. With the 1TB SSD yours comes with you likely won't need to deal with upgrades any time soon. Yours will be NVMe 4 lane, so pretty much at the peak for performance right now. Who knows where technology will be taking us over the next few years, they may do an expanded M.2 (or M.3?) spec with 8 lanes and that would re-double the speed...
    Do you think this could do the trick to have a bigger PSU? ATX12VO Adapter Cable (corsair.com)
  • billsey
    Nope, that's designed for a single ten pin connector instead of a four and a six. :(
  • xthedeku
    xthedeku Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Nope, that's designed for a single ten pin connector instead of a four and a six. :(

Hello billsey, Sorry for any inconvenience , I have a question about the possibility of installing a new fan for the processor, this 
  • billsey
    Do some measuring to make sure it is going to fit well...