RAM UPGRADE - NITRO 5 an515-55-57da

zozo123
zozo123 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited December 2020 in Nitro Gaming
Hi guys, I recently bought a Nitro 5 an515-55-57 it runs on GTX 1650 TI, Intel Core i5-10300H with one SSD and HDD and 8gb of ram.
I wanted to upgrade the ram so that I can enable dual channel on my laptop so I checked the ram speed it says 2933 in the task manager but in cmd is 3200.
I conclude that it's a 3200mhz ram just downgraded to 2933 since thats the maximum clock speed the motherboard can handle.
So I bought a Teamgroup Elite 8gb 3200mhz SODIMM which I bought online, So I went to the local acer support and they said that my laptop is not compatible with the ram, they said that its only compatible to samsung and apacer and also they recommended me an 8gb apacer 2666mhz which is x2 the price of the ram that I bought and it only runs on 2666mhz.

Is teamgroup brand not compatible to nitro 5?

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,428 Trailblazer
    edited December 2020
    Hi,
    You should have bought 8GB 3200MHz module to install, could you please post the exact part number of the Teamgroup elite module and your original 8GB RAM part number on the label, to check the compatibility, you have one 3200MHz(original) module and 2666MHz module installed, when you mix different speed RAM modules, the system will run at the lower speed of two modules.
    Teamgroup elite comes in different versions, so I need to check the specs of the intended RAM, you can run CPU-z and check current modules specifications in SPD and Memory tabs.
  • zozo123
    edited December 2020
    Hi, Thank you for answering I really appreciate that I didn't buy the apacer ram that the local acer support, they only recommended me that one because they said that the teamgroup elite 8gb 3200mhz Sodimm is not compatible to My Acer Nitro5 they said that my laptop might "Blackout" if they try to install the ram to my laptop. I still have the teamgroup elite 8gb 3200mhz Sodimm here, Im afraid to install it because what they said might be true so im just here to ask you guys if Acer nitro 5 is not compatible with teamgroup brand

• No problem, you have to post the picture of your current module model number and the Teamgroup module picture to find out why it's not compatible, take a picture of it or post the numbers printed on them.
  • zozo123
    This is the ram that I bought 
  • zozo123
    cpu Z memory specifications
  • zozo123
    The thing is I cant open the laptop since it would void the warranty, the only reason why I went to the local acer support was they have a free installation of ram to the laptop as long as you have a ram or you just buy to them. the reason I didn't buy their ram was because it was too pricy and it specs is not okay for its price. So I bought a ram that has the same size, same speed, and same latency but when I showed them the ram that I bought, they suddenly said that its not compatible to the laptop acer nitro 5 an515-55-57da without even trying it first or installing it first. They also said that acer nitro 5 is only compatible to samsung and apacer ram.

Is it True that acer nitro 5 is only compatible to those two brands? Im so skeptic about that
  • zozo123 said:
    cpu Z memory specifications
    Go to SPD tab and post the picture please.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,428 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    I can not understand why Teamgroup Elite module will not work, I think it will work without any problem but as you are relying on Acer support centre for the upgrade, it's difficult for me to advice, anyway, please post the picture of current Memory SPD tab.
    ELITE_DDR4_SO_DIMM_E-DM_EN_20201116 (teamgroupinc.com)
  • zozo123

CPU Z SPD TAB 
  • zozo123
    edited December 2020
    Sir I really appreciate you replying to my problems/question, I built a lot of PCS and I know a thing or two so I also know that as long as the ram has the same ddr and speed It should work normally, as long as its not generic cause that has a chance of not being compatible.

I think I'll go back there tommorow and make them install the memory regardless of what they say because I was really skeptic of their theory that teamgroup was not compatible to acer nitro 5 hahaha. Thank you Again Sir, Your opinion made me relieved all I needed was a second opinion that agrees with me hehe 
  • 1tzyj1
    1tzyj1 Member Posts: 3 New User
    hi. i  also have an AN 515 55 (2020 model) that originally had 8gb ram. I bought it earlier this month and just last week i had its ram upgraded to 16 gb in an authorized acer center. the ram used was also Team elite 8gb 3200mhz ram, the same as the one you have. it's been a few days and everything works fine so far.
  • zozo123
    edited December 2020
    Hi 1tzyj1 Thank youuu sir for telling me your experience, this thread can also help other users of nitro 5 who has in doubt of what ram they should choose to upgrade their laptops, cause buying them in authorized acer center is twice the price and lesser specs. What a great community :) 
  • Wijaya11
    Wijaya11 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello sir, i just want to ask did you still install that ram? and how about your laptop now?